Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
olasgideon  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2021 03:26:32(UTC)
olasgideon

I work with a FMCG (Detergent) company. We are generating alot of laminate waste on daily basis which is having a significantly negative impact on our business objective. Please I need some advice on how we can manage this waste effectively.

Thanks

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2021 07:38:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Laminate means many things to many people so you need to be a little bit more specific e.g. is this a film/foil/plastic laminate akin a wine pouch, a plastic/foil/card laminate akin a juice carton, wax/card/liner......

The Tetra-Pak style is recyclable where you can find collections, the others I am not sure but it is highly likley some scheme to re-use or re-process will have crossed the desk of WRAP in the UK (Waste & Resources Action Programme) at some point in time.

It is hoped the choice of packaging was engineered with consideration of the product and process - as such is your waste down to either an incorrect choice of material, incompatability with the line speed, revised sizing creating more off-cut, new/revised materials for in-house laminating? There will be some step in the process triggering the increased waste - that should be your starting point in reduction.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 24/06/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 24/06/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 24/06/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 24/06/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2021 07:38:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Laminate means many things to many people so you need to be a little bit more specific e.g. is this a film/foil/plastic laminate akin a wine pouch, a plastic/foil/card laminate akin a juice carton, wax/card/liner......

The Tetra-Pak style is recyclable where you can find collections, the others I am not sure but it is highly likley some scheme to re-use or re-process will have crossed the desk of WRAP in the UK (Waste & Resources Action Programme) at some point in time.

It is hoped the choice of packaging was engineered with consideration of the product and process - as such is your waste down to either an incorrect choice of material, incompatability with the line speed, revised sizing creating more off-cut, new/revised materials for in-house laminating? There will be some step in the process triggering the increased waste - that should be your starting point in reduction.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 24/06/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 24/06/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 24/06/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 24/06/2021(UTC)
olasgideon  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2021 20:26:03(UTC)
olasgideon

I mean Detergent laminate waste. Is detergent laminate waste recyclable? if not, what method of treatment or management procedure can be applied?

Kate  
#5 Posted : 27 June 2021 05:48:26(UTC)
Kate

I think you are saying that the laminate is packaging for detergents.

But what are the layers (materials) in the laminate?

As hinted at above, "laminate" just means anything that is made up of layers.  The composition of the layers is relevant to waste treatment.

RVThompson  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2021 06:53:34(UTC)
RVThompson

What is the root cause of this excess waste?

Meanwhile, contact a couple of waste management companies, and send off a sample of the laminate in question; they should be able to determine if it's recyclable or not.