Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andrewjb1  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2021 10:54:54(UTC)
andrewjb1

Good Morning

Just a general opinion or advice needed pelase, we have a number of workshops where we teach students in electrical engineering and mechanical engineering,  all staff and students are advised to wear eye protection when undertaking practical activities such as using machine tools including grinding machines and pillar drills or clearing swalf  but currently we dont advise wearing them for activities such as using handtools ie cutting metal trunking with a hand saw or cutting or stripping electric cables.  In business electricians dont usually wear eye protection so we are debating if we should be advising students to wear them. We have reviewed the accidents stats and never had any eye injuries and the risk is fairly minimal.. just want a sense of opinion.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2021 11:55:54(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As I have  said on another thread: students by definition are not competent so what ever you decide probably what they may do for the rest of their careers: no pressure then!

Most engineering workshops I know of make students wear eye protection to get them use to the idea of wearing PPE at work. That could be a good reason for doing it; it’s why are health studies students are told to wear masks in practical sessions because that is what they will be doing on the job.

When you mentioned engineering students,  I had another thought.  I can imagine a student watching a demonstration of how to use a metal file. Bored they will start to rub their eyes forgetting that fingers are covered in metal fillings. Getting  them to wash their hands regularly is also important.   

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
andrewjb1 on 19/10/2021(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2021 12:27:10(UTC)
CptBeaky

Personally, I make workshops eye protection areas. Nobody allowed in without wearing them. You never know when you are likely to be struck by swarf or other debris from somebody else using a machine. Eye protection is cheap, not particluarly uncomfortable and light. I treat it the same way (in the workshop) as I treat toe protection in the rest of my factory. Don't wear it? Then we don't have a job for you to do.

Whilst PPE should always be the last resort, it still has a place when all other controls are not sufficient. Beyond putting all machine cutting parts behind barriers (which is not usually reasonably practicable in a workshop) there is not a more suitable way I can think of for reducing the likelihood of somebody getting a foreign body in their eye.

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/10/2021(UTC), andrewjb1 on 19/10/2021(UTC)