Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chocolatekittykatt  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2021 08:57:00(UTC)
chocolatekittykatt

We have some UK staff that are carrying out works in Europe, they are on rota 10/4 back to the UK. Specifically Germany. I cannot find anything anywhere about the person to toilet ratio whilst out in Germany. I found the UK / HSE guidance as a starter for 10 so have passed that on for now.

According to my guys, the mens have failed and the client has told them to use the ladies (in principal, fine for a short period pending No. of ladies on site and locked cuibles etc) They also dont have any running water in the canteen area - another matter.

The only thing on google takes me to another forum, within that forum is a link to a website that no longer loads :(

Just wondering if anyone has any active links/ numbers to German Welfare requirements?

When you search for German welfare that brings up benefits type websites. When searching for toilet ratio/ requirements... mainly just photos of the different makes of toilets and silly blogs asking if Germans even use toilets (some people!)

Any help would be appreciated

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2021 11:43:37(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I don’t know the  ins and outs of German construction laws, but I do suspect that there is something about  toilets somewhere as the Germans tend to have rules about everything. The issue is where to find them. Germany is a federal state and this might be something devolved to the Lander(states). It could come under welfare rather than H&S . finally in Germany if something is included under a nationally recognised Standard eg one under DIN  you are legally expected to follow the requirements to the standard(unlike the UK where standards are just advisory)

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2021 12:08:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Council directive 92/57/EEC which the federal states may have enacted merely talks about "sufficient" and "adequate" provision on construction sites.

It does however identify that male & female toilets should be separate

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2021 12:08:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Council directive 92/57/EEC which the federal states may have enacted merely talks about "sufficient" and "adequate" provision on construction sites.

It does however identify that male & female toilets should be separate

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2021 13:15:58(UTC)
peter gotch

CKK - if you go on to the OSHA-EU website there is stuff about how individual member states have transposed the EC Temporary or Mobile Construction Sites Directive, number as aleady quoted.

I don't know how much detail you will find there and it is quite possible that the specfic standards for welfare facilities may vary by Lander.

Possibly if you get in touch with someone who works in the UK for a German multinational such as Siemens they might have access to more information. Yes - we do have such a person visiting these Forums!

Good luck, Peter

chocolatekittykatt  
#6 Posted : 03 December 2021 10:00:38(UTC)
chocolatekittykatt

Thanks everyone

Just having a read through now... not too prescriptive and mainly CDM2015 looking so i think if we argue that the HSE numbering is better than nothing when they fail again!

but yes, everything appears to be separate for men & women where appropraite