Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eddy  
#1 Posted : 20 December 2021 13:26:22(UTC)
Eddy

Hi All

Can anyone recommend companies that supply HSE software to manage the function including 14001 and 450001.   Is there anyne presently using software that they would recommend.  ps have happy christmas Ed

Kate  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2021 23:57:50(UTC)
Kate

If software could manage the function we would all be out of a job ...

thanks 4 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 21/12/2021(UTC), CptBeaky on 21/12/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 22/12/2021(UTC), aud on 02/01/2022(UTC)
Alabaster  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2022 21:15:09(UTC)
Alabaster

Hi Eddy hope you have had a great Xmas! 

I have used various applications with SMEs and to be honest, none have really helped, in some cases, they have made it more difficult. I have always found an organised folder setup with good documentation to be far superior and flexible which is what you want. 

What exactly would you like from software/applications? what would be a priority?

forestgate2016  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2022 03:52:35(UTC)
forestgate2016

Hello Eddy,

I have found that using the organisation's Microsoft 365 Applications solved the issue for me. I use Microsoft Forms to create online form for incident notifications, inspections and audits, qhse data collation and other forms that may be required in accordance with my organisation's OHS profile.

I use the Micorsoft List for tracking training and certification expiry and notifications and If iwas being adventurous I try using Micosoft Automate to send out period informations to my team and the organisation and Microsoft PowerBI for Data analysis if I want to be fancy. Buying a HSE software is most times just overkill and a complete drain on resourses (I try to justify very penny spent on my department as "those upstairs" get really finicky when they hear the cash register sound for any reason from my side of the building)

I have also found that just using offline word processing and spreadsheet or Open Source packages to do the job efficiently and without stress.

Edited to add: I got this idea off of a chap on Linkedin and have been using it since(I was orignially using Google free packages for my jurryrigged OHS Software)

Edited by user 04 January 2022 16:22:04(UTC)  | Reason: Additional context

thanks 1 user thanked forestgate2016 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 04/01/2022(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2022 09:30:04(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Happy New Year etc.

As Kate said software can’t manage any sort of system to any standards simply because the standards are about how you run the business not what software you use. Suitable software can make this easier, but they can’t do it for you.

What sort of software you might end up using depends on the size of your businesses and its complexity. I know of a government agency that employees thousands of staff across the country in a variety of roles. They decided to buy an all singing and all dancing package which they would tweak to make it perfect for them. Taking into account the modifications and ongoing support they have spent £100 000’s on this system. Getting it right was not straight forward and it took them 2 years from placing the order to getting it out to the employees.  It did everything thing and everything was integrated. So for incidents it enabled staff to record them and them created an audit trail  from investigations to follow up actions and final close out. The data collected could be broken down to units, types of incidents etc so they had stats on tap for who ever wanted them. Similarity audits could be managed, and training assigned to people. The guy who commission it said it was good but like any system tended to be inflexible, meaning that policies and procedures tended to be built around the system but because of the organisations complexity he didn’t think he had an alternative.

You can run a perfectly adequate system using standard Microsoft Office software or even a  paper based system, but this depends on how complex your business is and how much money you are willing to spend but you need to have a clear idea of what system you want BEFORE committing to any proprietary package.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 04/01/2022(UTC)