Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris42  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2022 09:47:16(UTC)
chris42

Hi all, We need to dig a small trench about 300 mm deep, however the ground is full of leftover building rubble. We have a general handyman who claims he can use a mini digger, and I do believe he is likely to have used these in his past. However, I like people to have had formal training and he can’t prove he has. On searching for required training, it seems to be aimed at larger machines and even the ones labelled as below 10 ton seems out with the mini digger size. The HSE web site refers to some training on excavators in general, but on investigating this seemed to be forestry related.

Then on another search a training provider of general digger training had this:-

“If you require a mini digger for projects on private land or worksites, a licence will not be required in order to operate the machine. If needed by the roadside, and other types of sites, a ticket will need to be held by the operator by law.”

Well, we are not near a road or any buried services, its flat and we can exclude people from the area except a lookout ( so no lone working), but a bit unsure about no formal training. I can’t see we are likely to want to do this ever again.

What training would others require of someone to operate the smallest of the small mini diggers, is there anything specifically recommended, so I can look at training costs.

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2022 10:07:09(UTC)
peter gotch

Morning Chris

Unless you are working in a green field in which case all the building rubble is a puzzle unless the result of fly tipping I would be very wary of assuming there are no underground services.

Why not hire in both mini digger AND someone with a CPCS ticket?

You've said that this general labourer would be unlikely to put any training into practice again, so why not simply avoid the task of identifying an appropriate package.

If you bring in a mini digger AND someone with a CPCS ticket the first thing they should be asking is where is the information to confirm the presence or absence of services, and what is the safe digging plan!!

P

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
HSSnail on 20/05/2022(UTC), chris42 on 20/05/2022(UTC)
Pirellipete  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2022 10:26:48(UTC)
Pirellipete

If you hire the mini-digger in, isn't there some onus on the hirer of the equipment to provide instruction on the safe use of the equipment ??, (even though most of them just deliver, dump and depart),

This would get you over that hurdle, but as mentioned, you'd likely still need a CAT survey and service/utility info and drawings

thanks 1 user thanked Pirellipete for this useful post.
chris42 on 20/05/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2022 10:34:15(UTC)
HSSnail

I love it when companies say you "require a licence by law" - the only licence you need is from DVLA (or should that be DVLC?) to drive on public roads - anywhere else its the requirement under PUWER to be "trained" you can do it yourself if you confident but as Peter says there are some good reputably scheme's out there CPCS is one, RTITB is another and there are lots more.

Yes a hire company should provide you with some info - but its unlikly to satify an inspector as "adequate training" if something went wrong.

chris42  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2022 11:00:14(UTC)
chris42

Yes I’m happy there are no services in the area. Are we saying the appropriate course is a CPCS one ? A quick look suggests that it is 6 days including test and costs £1,650 (A58 course), so by the time we add the hire of the machine and travel and hotel costs we are close to about £3k. Could not easily find a RTITB course to compare.

No I don’t think hirers of the machine have any responsibility to check competence ( if they did what would they insist on). Yes may get some basic info from them.

Thanks for the response seems a bit much for the small hardstanding slab we wanted to create to tidy an area up and make more usable. It seems like H&S says no to the project, I do hate that.

Thanks for your feedback.

Chris

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2022 12:11:26(UTC)
HSSnail

Quote.

It seems like H&S says no to the project, I do hate that.

Quote.

Im deffinatly not saying that - training has to be appropriate (as always) and there is not 1 right or wrong answer. I once delt with a fatility from someone using a skid stear to pick up grass cuttings on a level field! Sounds like a easy task. Some of these machines are not as easy to operate as a skilled person makes then appear. I would not say no but i would say proceed with caution.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Pirellipete  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2022 13:59:11(UTC)
Pirellipete

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

Yes I’m happy there are no services in the area. Are we saying the appropriate course is a CPCS one ? A quick look suggests that it is 6 days including test and costs £1,650 (A58 course), so by the time we add the hire of the machine and travel and hotel costs we are close to about £3k. Could not easily find a RTITB course to compare.

No I don’t think hirers of the machine have any responsibility to check competence ( if they did what would they insist on). Yes may get some basic info from them.

Thanks for the response seems a bit much for the small hardstanding slab we wanted to create to tidy an area up and make more usable. It seems like H&S says no to the project, I do hate that.

Thanks for your feedback.

Chris

You should be able to find a training org who can issue a training certificate on an 'In House' basis,

We have a local company who use the same trainers, and follow the same syllabus as CPCS, (Perhaps with some very minor differences for legal purposes), and issue a certificate of competence. for a much lower cost as they don't have to pay the Accreditation body the fees to issue the accredited cert

No, this certificate is not a CPCS accredited cert, but it's more than adequate for a lot of In-House type work that sounds like all you need. 

It also helps with staff retention as people don't take the accredited quals on to a new job as soon as you've trained them

thanks 1 user thanked Pirellipete for this useful post.
SteveL  
#8 Posted : 20 May 2022 14:27:32(UTC)
SteveL

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post

I love it when companies say you "require a licence by law" - the only licence you need is from DVLA (or should that be DVLC?) to drive on public roads - anywhere else its the requirement under PUWER to be "trained" you can do it yourself if you confident but as Peter says there are some good reputably scheme's out there CPCS is one, RTITB is another and there are lots more.

Yes a hire company should provide you with some info - but its unlikly to satify an inspector as "adequate training" if something went wrong.

Sorry but you are incorrect; If you working on the road including pavement or verge and digging you require a road opening licence by law,  if you are a supervisor or labourer you require a qualification by law. New Roads and Street works Act 1991 
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 20 May 2022 16:14:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: SteveL Go to Quoted Post
If you working on the road including pavement or verge and digging you require a road opening licence by law,  if you are a supervisor or labourer you require a qualification by law. New Roads and Street works Act 1991 

Is this applicable to the task of roadworking?

The OP was asking about operator training/licencing for equipment.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
HSSnail on 24/05/2022(UTC), HSSnail on 24/05/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 20 May 2022 16:14:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you working on the road including pavement or verge and digging you require a road opening licence by law,  if you are a supervisor or labourer you require a qualification by law. New Roads and Street works Act 1991 

HSSnail on 24/05/2022(UTC), HSSnail on 24/05/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 20 May 2022 16:22:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you truly believe this is not within the skills & aptitude of the handyman (which it sounds like by insisting on a piece of formal paperwork) hire a ground worker or landscape gardener rather than a mini-digger.

chris42 on 23/05/2022(UTC), chris42 on 23/05/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 20 May 2022 16:22:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you truly believe this is not within the skills & aptitude of the handyman (which it sounds like by insisting on a piece of formal paperwork) hire a ground worker or landscape gardener rather than a mini-digger.

chris42 on 23/05/2022(UTC), chris42 on 23/05/2022(UTC)
chris42  
#13 Posted : 23 May 2022 07:52:39(UTC)
chris42

As it goes, I do believe he has experience of using these mini diggers. We just normally bring in external contractors to do bigger jobs and I expect them to have a training record, to help prove some sort of competence. This is a relatively smaller job, hence why we are considering doing it inhouse.

A previous handyman we sent on a MEWP course for a day and cost about £300, and thought something like the Mini digger would be the same. It would be worth £300 for a days training as you never know if we may want to do something similar in the future (though no particular plans). I was therefore surprised to find it was 5 days training with 1 day of testing. However, I was not sure of what training was necessary hence my question of what others would want.

There seems to be a feeling from the responses that if the employee has experience, then they would go with this. I could be on site on the day to ensure that he at least appears to be able to operate it smoothly. I will give this some more thought.  I know in the past from conversations with insurance companies solicitors that they just focus on training records with regard to proving  competence, should something unforeseen happen.

Chris

HSSnail  
#14 Posted : 24 May 2022 08:19:18(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

As I often state, this forum is an excellent source of advice and information, and none of us can know everything – I always say every day is a learning day. It is a particular pleasure when the post is so eloquently written.

With that in mind SteveL, I would like to thank you for bringing to my attention the  New Roads and Street works Act 1991. This is not an area I am familiar with. I have gone away and looked up the guidance which appeared to me to state,

“Street works licences. A street authority may grant a street works licence. This allows a person without a statutory right, to place, retain and remove apparatus in the street, and to do work necessary for that purpose. The licence system is governed by section 50 of, and Schedule 3, to NRSWA.”

And on training.

“O-series certificates, for operatives only:

O2 - Excavation in the highway”

So this would suggest that the training is specific to excavation on the highway and is not a general “competence” certificate for the use of the mini digger – and the licence is actually to carry out the work, I.e. a permissioning regime operated by the highways authority, and again not a specific training requirement?

Is my interpretation correct, or can you point me to better guidance?

Thank you.