Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jcollins  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2022 11:29:49(UTC)
jcollins

I'm trying to find a trainer in Scotland to discuss Digital / Laser-Driven Extinguisher Training in our workplace, I can find suppliers of the equipment, but not trainers.  Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Jackie

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2022 09:39:45(UTC)
HSSnail

Usualy most suppliers offer the training. They idea is once you know how to set them up they operate like an ordinary fire extinguisher - so if you know how to set them up any trainer should be able to show staff how they work. Sorry its been a while since i used such a system and moved jobs  i dont remember who we got ouirs from and we were not in scotland.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
jcollins on 04/08/2022(UTC)
jcollins  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2022 11:08:29(UTC)
jcollins

Thanks, Brian.  I've sent messages to a couple of suppliers to see if they have any contacts in Scotland - as I need a trainer to bring the equipment with them for the session (no budget to buy it ourselves). 

Messey  
#4 Posted : 05 August 2022 14:17:22(UTC)
Messey

Jcollins, I am intrigued as to why you are intent on the use of laser type training equipment?

I am not sold on the concept to be honest and would rather hold a 'show and tell' extinguisher session than use the rather gimmicky laser units.

Let me just stress that I am not criticising your choice in any way, I am just trying to understand your rationale as I cannot see any advantages for the customer with this kit.  ​​​​​​​

jcollins  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2022 14:23:13(UTC)
jcollins

I've made no decision either way as yet - I'm just information gathering at this stage, however as we are a city centre location with no car park/outdoor space to "play" with extinguishers, I felt it was worth looking into as an option.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to ship my fire marshals out somewhere for their practical training though due to the lack of information on the laser type training.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :-)

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2022 07:43:51(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: jcollins Go to Quoted Post

Thanks, Brian.  I've sent messages to a couple of suppliers to see if they have any contacts in Scotland - as I need a trainer to bring the equipment with them for the session (no budget to buy it ourselves). 

Right had not realised you wanted a trainer who used it - thought you had bought the kit. In that case i would just ring up a few trainers who offer onsite fire extinguisher training. Have to agree with Messey -having used both you cannot beat the real thing! The only advantage with the laser sets is that they dont create a mess and so you can use in an office environment and use over and over again. 

Messey  
#7 Posted : 09 August 2022 19:25:01(UTC)
Messey

I will get off the fence on this one. I would never ever use one of these training aids as I do not believe they bring anything useful to the party.

I looked at purchasing one for a big contract I won. But it soon became clear that their main use would be for me to use them as a marketing tool to sell my training to an unsuspecting client using the technology as an advantage for his business. No mess, no refilling of his extinguishers, no need for outdoor space or good weather - what's not to like?

For me its is so unrealistic it's positively dangerous. Staff are using a lightweight electronic 'toy' , so get no value of the weight, size and difficultoes in moving an extinguisher thay will find in their workplace. The gimmicky one will not resemble it. The 'flames' are a joke and in any case, its the smoke one needs to concentrate on when training others. I honestly think a dry 'show and tell' supported by a quality video is sufficient for low and some medium risk premises. Staff get to pick the unit off the wall, judge the weight and see where the pin is. After that, its pretty much an aerosol can and we all know how to use them. Frankly operating an extinguisher is easy, its doing it safety that is the art. That includes where its to hazardous, not using it at all and evacuating, plus making sure your escape route is clear, smoke development  etc etc. This can all be done with a show and tell, lecture and roleplay, so there's no real use for the electronic game type traing aid It is just my opinion and of course others will have an alternative view. ​​​​​​​If you want to tick a box to say your staff are trained, use an electronic game. But if you want to deliver quality training with no gimmicks or distractions, there is no need (in low risk premises) for anything than a competent trainer and standard training infrastructure 

thanks 2 users thanked Messey for this useful post.
HSSnail on 10/08/2022(UTC), Kate on 10/08/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 09 August 2022 20:55:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Thanks for highlighting yet another technological answer for a problem that never existed.

Having looked at this on-line must admit I am firmly with Messey.

Just as you don't learn to drive on a games console you won't learn extinguisher skills playing with torches.

So much is missing - the weight, the real swirling smoke/steam (not a static fog machine), the surge of heat & flame when you get it wrong, the general heat, the horror when the flames are still billowing and your extinguisher is discharged.

To some extent these are even potentially dangerous building false confidence in the trainees psyche.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
HSSnail on 10/08/2022(UTC), HSSnail on 10/08/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 09 August 2022 20:55:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Thanks for highlighting yet another technological answer for a problem that never existed.

Having looked at this on-line must admit I am firmly with Messey.

Just as you don't learn to drive on a games console you won't learn extinguisher skills playing with torches.

So much is missing - the weight, the real swirling smoke/steam (not a static fog machine), the surge of heat & flame when you get it wrong, the general heat, the horror when the flames are still billowing and your extinguisher is discharged.

To some extent these are even potentially dangerous building false confidence in the trainees psyche.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
HSSnail on 10/08/2022(UTC), HSSnail on 10/08/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#10 Posted : 10 August 2022 07:02:08(UTC)
HSSnail

Some well reasoned arguments from our two fellow professionals above - cannot argue with any of them - as i said cannot beat the real thing. We currently run fire extinguiser training off site using real extinguishers and fire (safely generated). For me i think the thig that supprises people the first time they use an extinguisher is the weight, and the sudden discharge when you pull the trigger - and yes how quickly they run out. 

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Messey on 10/08/2022(UTC)