Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bradaz1  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2022 10:03:05(UTC)
bradaz1

A client has some large steel moulds specifically for producing precast concrete products such as stairs.  In order to remove the stairs after curing, the moulds are tiltable to an angle of around 80 degrees.  This is achieved by both hydraulic and mechanical means which then allows the cured product to be lifted out using cast in lifters installed in the side of the unit.  Basically the mould support frame is fixed to the ground and the mould part of the structure is hinged at one side.

My take on this is that as the equipment is effectively lifting and supporting the precast unit as well as the weight of the mould itself that it would be subject to LOLER thorough examination.  Also for cleaning / maintenance purposes, employees sometimes require access to the rear of the tilted mould.  Again, my take is that this would require thorough examination every 6 months due to the fact that persons are potentially in a hazardous area should there be a catastrophic failure of the lift/support mechanism.

Any thoughts,  I have considered whether this would be more applicable to PUWER due to the equipment tilting, but as you will appreciate, there is a bit of a crossover here.

client does not necessarily think that LOLER applies here due to the tilt only.

thanks in advance.

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2022 11:12:03(UTC)
HSSnail

Im not sure i have a clear picture in my head of whats happening here, How is the cast tipped? It may actualy be part of a load. 

For me this sounds more like PUWER than LOLAR - the best similar example i can think of is a winch on the back of a car recovery vehicle which pulls the car up the ramp. The HSE do not consider that lifting so only PUWER apply. However the exact same winch could easily be used in a lifting activity then LOLAR would apply. 

Confused? Welcome to teh world of H&S.

bradaz1  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2022 11:44:45(UTC)
bradaz1

The following link shows a similar set up (note the photograph was taken from the rear of the structure.  on the other side would be a concrete stair unit weighing approx 2 - 4 tons.

https://www.construx.eu/sites/CONS/uploads/prijzen/big/pg50-achterzijde-regeling.jpg

a clearer photo may be this one - before it is tilted.

https://www.construx.eu/sites/CONS/uploads/prijzen/big/pg50-zijkant-mal.jpg

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2022 11:47:12(UTC)
HSSnail

Sorry Bradaz but im not clicking on web links like that - my IT team would kill me. 

Pirellipete  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2022 12:44:19(UTC)
Pirellipete

My take would be:

PUWER for the mechanical/hydraulic lift/tilt mold

LOLER (obviously) for the equipment lifting the precast unit out of the mold

An engineered design and Design Check Certificate for the lifting eyes, (Size, SWL and fixing within the precast unit) etc,

And Temporary Works for the operation as a whole, (I could be convinced otherwise on this bit, I'm only putting this in cos we have TW for lifting Rebar cages from the horizontal to the vertical for installation)

thanks 1 user thanked Pirellipete for this useful post.
bradaz1 on 25/08/2022(UTC)
Pirellipete  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2022 13:02:07(UTC)
Pirellipete

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post

For me this sounds more like PUWER than LOLAR - the best similar example i can think of is a winch on the back of a car recovery vehicle which pulls the car up the ramp. The HSE do not consider that lifting so only

Brian,

Quick sense check here,

ACOP L113, Safe use of Lifting equipment, Guidance Paragraph 28, section (s),  Car transporter or vehicle recovery equipment is listed as LOLER.... (who knew) ???

chris42  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2022 18:18:23(UTC)
chris42

But a tipper truck is not covered by LOLER according to the HSE web page

ACOP L113, page 12 figure 1 can you answer yes to Q3? I would say no

But I would say no to a car transporter also!

Lots of companies use insurance companies ( not necessarily the one they are insured with), who are probably the best people to advise, you must be using someone for the equipment that lifts the concrete out ( though from your description is seems more pull it out sideways if its at 80 degrees).

Out of nothing but curiosity, when pouring the concrete is the side of the steps facing up or the underside facing up, with the step shape facing down.

Some people are able to post pictures on this site, but I’m not one so can’t tell you how to do it.

Chris

peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 16 August 2022 18:26:52(UTC)
peter gotch

I don't think it really matters whether you apply either or both sets of Regulations.

Not like in the days of e.g. Section 27 of the Factories Act when the law told you exactly how often the thorough examination needs to happen IF it was lifting equipment (and there was case law on that, which would still be relevant to interpretation under LOLER).

Now we have a requirement in LOLER for a thorough examination which can be according to a "written scheme" and at such intervals as have been determined to be appropriate.

Ultimately if this contraption fails and there is somebody underneath part of it, the chance is that they are going to get hurt and so there are various duties in either LOLER and/or PUWER to comply with.

So, I am going to take a punt and suggest that in order to comply with PUWER you would need to do something which you can describe as whatever you wish to call it, but which translates as a thorough examination!

Not even going to look up which is/are the relevant parts of PUWER - application of basic principles!

P

thanks 3 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
HSSnail on 17/08/2022(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/08/2022(UTC), bradaz1 on 25/08/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#9 Posted : 17 August 2022 07:09:03(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Pirellipete Go to Quoted Post

For me this sounds more like PUWER than LOLAR - the best similar example i can think of is a winch on the back of a car recovery vehicle which pulls the car up the ramp. The HSE do not consider that lifting so only

Brian,

Quick sense check here,

ACOP L113, Safe use of Lifting equipment, Guidance Paragraph 28, section (s),  Car transporter or vehicle recovery equipment is listed as LOLER.... (who knew) ???

ACOP L113, Safe use of Lifting equipment, Equipment and operations not covered by LOLER Guidance Paragraph 29 (b) winching a load where the load does not leave the ground;

I think the difference here is the "hydrolics" that lift the bed is LOLAR - the winch that pulls up the car up teh slope is PUWER

But there again it used to be on the list of equipment which looks like Lifting equipment but is not - along with dentist chairs, pallet trucks etc, but its not there any more. So who realy knows - dont you just love H&S? LOL

Edited by user 17 August 2022 07:09:39(UTC)  | Reason: Missed half a sentance

HSSnail  
#10 Posted : 17 August 2022 07:14:37(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

I don't think it really matters whether you apply either or both sets of Regulations.

Very true Peter good sence check - Keep it safe by maintance and examination regurdless of what the specific regs say.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
bradaz1 on 25/08/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#11 Posted : 17 August 2022 07:20:33(UTC)
HSSnail

Brian,

Quick sense check here,

ACOP L113, Safe use of Lifting equipment, Equipment and operations not covered by LOLER Guidance Paragraph 29 (b) winching a load where the load does not leave the ground;

I think the difference here is the "hydrolics" that lift the bed is LOLAR - the winch that pulls up the car up teh slope is PUWER

But there again it used to be on the list of equipment which looks like Lifting equipment but is not - along with dentist chairs, pallet trucks etc, but its not there any more. So who realy knows - dont you just love H&S? LOL

Found it.

OC 803/69::Application of the provision and use of work equipment regulations 1998 and the lifting operations and lifting equipment regulations 1998 to motor vehicle repair (hse.gov.uk)

Recovery vehicles and associated equipment

28 Some recovery vehicles will have lifting devices which are very obviously cranes and should be treated as such under LOLER. Moveable beds and ramps will not normally be subject to LOLER, nor will winches as their main purpose is dragging the casualty vehicle over level ground or onto the bed of the recovery vehicle.

I though i had gone completley mad - but still some hope (not much i agree) for me yet.
Pirellipete  
#12 Posted : 17 August 2022 08:00:52(UTC)
Pirellipete

LOLOL Brian,

So it is LOLER, unless it's PUWER

Or it might not be either, or it might be both... 

Either way we'll get you if it goes wrong.   lol

HSSnail  
#13 Posted : 17 August 2022 08:21:43(UTC)
HSSnail

LOLOL Brian,

So it is LOLER, unless it's PUWER

Or it might not be either, or it might be both... 

Either way we'll get you if it goes wrong.   lol

Yep!

i remember  when i was an inspector being asked by a care home if LOLAR and PUWER applied to a stair lift which residents operated themselves - to which i said no as the regs only apply to employees (yes it realy does matter who presses the button). They said great that meant they did no have to do a six month inspection. Which i told them was fine until an incident occured then i would prosecute them under section 3 HASWA for not doing enough to protect none emplyees.

So what did i recomend? A 6 month thorough examination.

As Peter says sometime we get a bit wound up with actual regulations that the idea behind HASAW, which is doing what we need - so far as is reanonably practicable- to keep people safe.

Edited by user 17 August 2022 09:07:09(UTC)  | Reason: two may beings!

Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 18 August 2022 11:37:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

What is the primary designed function of the equipment?

I am with the client this is PUWER as the main function is moulding concrete

Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 18 August 2022 11:37:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

What is the primary designed function of the equipment?

I am with the client this is PUWER as the main function is moulding concrete

bradaz1  
#16 Posted : 25 August 2022 10:06:46(UTC)
bradaz1

Thanks for the replies everyone. Appreciate the feedback.  The function of the mould is to contain the concrete until it is cured.  Then next morning there are side shuttering panels removed from one side where there are lifting eyes cast into the concrete.  Once these shutters are removed, the whole mould section is hydraulically or mechanically tilted up to an angle of around 75-80 degrees to allow the overhead crane to then lift the concrete unit from the mould - so in essence the concrete unit is still be supported by the tilted mould structure.  It is at this point it is lifted out using overhead crane.  I agree that maintenance and thorough examination at regular intervals are key takeaways here to ensure the equipment functions as it should.  Cheers.