Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alex89  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2022 07:41:49(UTC)
Alex89

We have some pallet racking that after a incident involving a pallet falling we have decided to install decking to all parts of the warehouse rather than high risk areas and I have sourced a supplier who is SEMA approved for installations but now my director is concerned that the racking will not be fit for purpose as he wants evidence that decking meets BS specification.

Is there any requirments for decking to meet a certain standard and what evidence would I require for this?

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2022 09:06:24(UTC)
HSSnail

Not sure if there is a specific standard for decking - putting pallet racking into the BSI web site gives you 80 results - teh documents themselves are also often very dear. Been a while since i was involved in racking but i always found the SEMA guides SEMA Publications | Storage Equipment Manufacturer’s Association to be useful and compared to BSI they are a bargin (even those at neary £300 pounds)

While using SEMA is not a legal rquirement i think they are usualy accepted as one of the industry experts.

PDarlow  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2022 10:43:45(UTC)
PDarlow

Brian is correct, there is nothing I have found in the past relating to any BS for timber decks which we use in all of our racking systems. Said decks are not essential or part of the load bearing structure that is the racking system hence (in my opinion) why there is no standard. We've recently had our annual SEMA inspection and the decking is covered in the report which states:

"Open boarded timber slatted decks are fitted to beam levels to support any poor-quality pallets. I have not listed these in the damaged racking section as these are not essential. However, the decking should be replaced in house when damaged."

My view is that correct use of any timber decking gives another layer of protection in case of poor pallets or operator error when loading / unloading. The only downside is that means more components to check when you do your visual inspection, however frequently you do that yourselves.

If you procure from a reputable and accredited supplier, they could probably give you more information or reassurance regarding any decking you're considering.

Paul

dennish  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2022 10:08:34(UTC)
dennish

The decking is not accutally holding any weight as such this would still be the load beams, as previously said if you go to SEMA approved they should be able to give you more information.