Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stmcvallin  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2023 21:33:16(UTC)
stmcvallin

I was steered here from theBoard of Certified Safety Professionals website as a potential prerequisite for certification. I’m semi-new to the industry (my background is primarily emergency response and environmental sustainability). But am starting with a corporation as a H&S advisor. I’d ultimately like to hold the CSP credential but at now considering joining here as well. Any advice or input into the value of joining this organization as an affiliate member would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Mike
peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 11 June 2023 12:06:24(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Mike

To be honest I am a bit puzzled as to why BCSP would direct you to these forums though it is quite refreshing!

To answer your key question it would probably help if you indicate the geography in which you are working and whether your organisation works to US OSHA or some other standards.

As example, many projects in the Middle East work to OSHA, EU or UK standards as the local legislation is not particularly mature.

If you are in the US or Canada, I doubt that you would get much advantage from joining IOSH except that it affords you access to the Members' Forums as well as the Public Forums on which you have posted UNLESS, perhaps, you work for a corporation that is headquarted outside the Americas and hence which might based their policies and procedures on e.g. European standards, whilst also needing to comply with OSHA (or Canadian) legislative requirements.

That said, to some extent the decision as to what professional body or bodies to join might be influenced by who is paying. If you employer foots the bill for multiple subscriptions then you could benefit from being a member of more than one professional body - get slightly different angles on things.

Also depends to an extent on the value (none, little or lots) that you or the organisation you work for - or might be looking to apply for a job with - puts on having lots of letters after your name!

Kate  
#3 Posted : 11 June 2023 17:04:59(UTC)
Kate

As someone new-ish to H&S, you are I think in the target readership for the IOSH Magazine which you get as a member both online and as a printed glossy magazine (if it gets posted to the USA - but in any case you get it online). Earlier in my own career I found it (or its predecessor) quite useful.  On the other hand its predecessor still exists online and you can get that for free (SHP magazine).

There are also webinars on various topics which may or may not interest you.

The member forums which Peter mentions are nothing very attractive.  Mostly we just moan about IOSH there, and it's rare for any official or representative of IOSH to contribute.

If this all sounds like faint praise, it's because I am personally disenchanted with IOSH after many years, and only stay in it for the letters after my name.  But that's not to say it wouldn't be useful for you.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 12/06/2023(UTC)
Argyll  
#4 Posted : 29 September 2023 00:27:24(UTC)
Argyll

As an IOSH member for more than 10 years now from ATP (Across The Pond) here in Canada, I definitely find value in IOSH membership. I've attained Chartered status, and as a member of seven OH&S practitioner organizations, find that learning from others working in the field in other countries and regulatory jurisdictions to be very beneficial. I've studied OH&S in the UK, Australia and here in Canada, and have also had the opportunity to volunteer on a project with the BCSP in the US, and in fact just returned from there two weeks ago. The BCSP is a very well run organization, and is very well respected both in the US and here in Canada. 

I think that Peter Gotch fellow owes me a pint if I can find my way ATP in 2024, don't you agree Peter? ... :O).

Best Regards,

Argyll, ATP

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 29 September 2023 12:21:36(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Argyll - could probably manage that if you visit Glasgow!