Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Anet  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2023 22:59:12(UTC)
Anet

Hi, 

I was asked to developed a HSE Improvment Plan and demonstrate the key fundmentals of this plan, any advice on this please.

Thaank you  

Kate  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2023 10:44:13(UTC)
Kate

I suggest beginning with a gap analysis (where does the organisation want to be on each of a list of topics and where is it now, and therefore what are the gaps) which will reveal what the areas for improvement are.  Then the gaps can be transformed into a programme of actions to address them which will need to be prioritised and allocated together with any resources needed to achieve them and a way of measuring and reporting progress or the lack of it.  Make sure you identify and consult with the internal stakeholders while developing this.

I'm not sure what is meant by "demonstrate the key fundamentals of this plan".

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 20/11/2023(UTC), A Kurdziel on 20/11/2023(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2023 09:28:38(UTC)
A Kurdziel

My question is who is doing the asking?

Do they have any idea of what they want and how they might achieve it?

Do they just want an organogram and some flow diagrams explaining  what people are expected to d do or are they genuinely interested in improvement?

Kate’s idea of gap analysis is spot on.

But then do you have any idea who will be delivering this improvement? Will it just be you and the H&S team or will the whole organisation commit to the plan and make resources available?  

When people  do PLAN DO CHECK ACT, the PLAN bit is easy. You don’t want  to be in a situation where six months down the line it is obvious that the DOING isn’t happening.