Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
E Bromiley  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2024 11:47:30(UTC)
E Bromiley

Hi there, 

What is the difference between Abrasive Wheel Awareness and Accredited Abrasive Wheel Training? I need to assess which one we need. This is for users who need to change the blade on both hand-held grinders as well as chop saws.

chris42  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2024 09:45:17(UTC)
chris42

I don’t know the answer, but you have had no responses so this will at least bring it back to the top. I would just compare what each course covers and pick which best matches your needs. I’m not entirely convinced you need a formal training course to change those, but I do know there are courses out there covering doing so, which would help cover your backside. If you need to train a lot of people, then perhaps do both training courses yourself to evaluate ( I suspect they are full of unnecessary bumph).

One question I would be asking – accredited by whom?

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2024 15:59:21(UTC)
Roundtuit

General operatives changing cutting discs - awareness

Engineers dressing and balancing wheels - "accredited"

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2024 15:59:21(UTC)
Roundtuit

General operatives changing cutting discs - awareness

Engineers dressing and balancing wheels - "accredited"

cbrady@dandara.com  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2024 14:37:10(UTC)
cbrady@dandara.com

Hi There, Excuse the late reply, I've only accessed this forum today. I would be very careful allowing operator's changing blades on abrasive wheel equipment, when they only have a general awareness of the subject. There are various different types of blades, what they cut, bore size, rpm's etc. This info would be covered in an "accredited" course, delivered by a competent training provider, who would either issue their own certification or certification by an awarding body NPORs, Brittop, etc. I have had experience of this scenario, abrasive wheels / machines are dangerous bits of kit. I would urge caution and proper training. Chopsaw blades are not classed as an abrasive wheels. I hope this helps Have a good weekend
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 18 February 2024 20:11:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

cbrady may wish to read forum rule 11

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 18 February 2024 20:11:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

cbrady may wish to read forum rule 11

E Bromiley  
#8 Posted : 17 March 2024 09:30:48(UTC)
E Bromiley

In that case do you need accredited training to change a chopsaw blade?

Edited by user 17 March 2024 09:31:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 17 March 2024 20:34:41(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi E B

The historic reason for the general assumption that those changing abrasive wheels should get "accredited" training comes from the Abrasive Wheels Regulations 1969 which were revoked by PUWER.

The rationale was nowt to do with the fact that if an abrasive wheel comes into contact with part of a person's body it is likely to hurt AS IS the blade on a chop saw.

It was about the risk of the wheel "bursting" and ejecting bits of the wheel at high speed and in multiple directions. To reduce that risk the wheel needed to be properly balanced and the training was (and should be still) about helping the person mounting the wheel to understand how to do this properly.

BUT the 1969 set out which abrasive wheels were covered by the training requirement and which were not. So, imagine a portable grinder with a metal disc attached to a pad. No realistic risk of it "bursting" so not covered by the training requirements.

In contrast that machine WAS covered by the requirement to only leave as small a part of the disc unguarded as was "practicable". This was in effective an exemption from the strict liability requirement in Section 14 of the Factories Act 1961 that "every dangerous part of machinery shall be securely fenced".

The case law on this accepted that this might well mean that it was impossible to use some machines legally. 

....and that would have been the case with many chop saws whatever was being cut.

That went with the introduction of PUWER in effect to introduce a similar qualification to the standard of guarding of either an abrasive wheel or chop saw.

No realistic risk of a the blade of a chop saw "bursting", so any suggestion that those changing the blade should have "accredited training" is either overselling or a position that might be agreed by e.g. a trade body that this is the standard that is appropriate and becomes "best practice".

Edited by user 17 March 2024 20:35:51(UTC)  | Reason: Minor clarification

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Kate on 18/03/2024(UTC)