Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jolley43762  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2024 11:01:18(UTC)
Jolley43762

We are a UK construction/civil engineering company. We are looking into working in Queensland, Australia in the next few months

We are researching differences in Health, Safety & Environmental law from the UK against Queensland, Australia. For example, do Queensland have something similar to CDM regulations, Principal Contractor duties, H&S Plans, RAM processes, environmental licences/permits etc, or completely different standards

Any information or assistance would be gratefully received, even putting myself in touch with HSE professionals working in Queensland, Australia would be helpful

Many thanks in advance

Mike

MikeKelly  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2024 12:53:32(UTC)
MikeKelly

Hi Mike

Try WorkSafe.qld.gov.au or phone [if so inclined-about 12 hrs ahead and 40 years behind] +61 1300 362 128.

It's quite extensive but I don't know if it has the detail you need.

I worked in Oz for ten years but not in Queensland, however the states are fairly similar -my comment about being 40 years behind should be edited out, perhaps??

Regards

Mike

PS They are very strong on safety reps and rightly so from my perspective.

I have to say I came across some 'dinosaur style' management and at all levels.   

thanks 1 user thanked MikeKelly for this useful post.
Jolley43762 on 06/03/2024(UTC)
Jolley43762  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2024 12:57:07(UTC)
Jolley43762

Many thanks, I have been reviewing Work health and safety | business.gov.au, which can be challenging at times, especially looking for specifcs

Again thanks for engaging

Mike 

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2024 17:12:07(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Mike J (rather than K!)

I have never done any work in Oz but have from time to time put my toe in the water in terms of the legislation there.

I don't know whether there is any equivalent to CDM there yet but never really saw the need for CDM in the first place as I always thought that everything in CDM was and remains explicitly required by HSWA, with the following exceptions:

1. The arrangements for project notification which are essentially a rehash of what was previously in Section 127 of the Factories Act 1961, though the person responsible for making notifications changed and notification brought forward in time in terms of how a project is planned.

2. In the 2007 and 2015 variants of CDM there is a Part 4 which is essentially the consolidation with very little amendment of large chunks of the four codes of Construction Regulations 1961 and 1966 which with CDM 1994 sat in parallel via the Construction (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1996.

However, way back in about 1993, I put together a slide showing the interelationship between HSWA, the Management Regulations (then 1992) and CDM as a Venn diagram.

So a big circle representing HSWA [a "set" in Venn speak], a smaller circle representing MHSWR, entirely contained within the big circle, as everything in MHSWR is implicitly required by the Act [so a "subset"] and thirdly another smaller circle mostly overlapping the MHSWR circle but stretching just outside the big circle due to the notification requirements.

Later that smaller circle got a bit bigger due to Part 4 of the 2007/2015 Regs.

However, when the first iteration of CDM was made, it was all about "transposing" the management requirements of the EC Temporary or Mobile Construction Sites Directive.

Now in Australia the central Government enacted something that looks very similar to HSWA and the various States have followed with similar variants. Something similar done in New Zealand.

The two big things that are different in Australia are:

A. Instead of emphasis on the "employer" or similar duty holder Australia and NZ have a PCBU - person conducting a business or undertaking.

B. The Australia model includes a defintion of the concept of "reasonably practicable" that is drawn on the judgment in Edwards v National Coal Board 1949 which sets a higher bar than in the later judgment of Marshall v Gotham which having been made in a higher Court and as it makes reference to the Edwards case SHOULD be the more authoritative case law in terms of the UK.

Sooooo......if you ignore CDM and think HSWA and what e.g. the Client (or Designer) would have to do to comply with their duties to persons OTHER than their own employees under Sections 3 and/or 4 of HSWA, you could navigate the Queensland legislation to find the equivalent sections of its Act that tell a PCBU that is e.g. Client or Designer what they have to do.

There has been an interesting case in NZ on the relative responsibiltiies of PCBUs recently.

NOT construction but exactly the same principles apply to a scenario where there are interfaces between different duty holders to consider.

WorkSafe-v-WHAKAARI-Management-Limited-trial-jud-20231031.pdf (districtcourts.govt.nz)

....and of course, reading and assimilating this judgment is likely to be good for your CPD record!!

Good health and safety case law doesn't happen very often.

P

Edited by user 09 March 2024 13:25:23(UTC)  | Reason: Typo in date of Construction (HSW) Regs 1996

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Jolley43762 on 08/03/2024(UTC)
Jolley43762  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2024 18:07:30(UTC)
Jolley43762

Many thanks Peter for taking the time to engage and provide case law, more CPD!!

MikeKelly  
#6 Posted : 09 March 2024 14:00:23(UTC)
MikeKelly

Hi Mike and Peter

Peter's post led to me having a look at the more recent law, which was foreshadowed when I was there-mainly in South Australia [SA], Victoria and New South Wales.

In SA, the latest law 1986, was mostly an update on HSWA with some new stuff on Safety Reps[Trade Unions] responsibility of senior responsible persons, etc. 

At the time there was a vast difference between states and Federal OHS law was limited. 

As Peter has pointed out vast changes have occurred with a recommended Australia wide Model WHS law with reasonably practicable defined in operation in all states. 

I tried to find out where the PCBU's came from to no avail [probably NZ-they're always fighting over who first produced Pavlova's?] 

But I digress--there is a great Model code of practice, May 2018 on Construction Work that looks as if it might be useful--from SafeWork Australia [the feds]

I agree with Peter about CDM and the FA1961. [particularly the 4 construction codes]. Some things are best left alone.​​​​​​​

Regards

Mike

Jolley43762  
#7 Posted : 11 March 2024 08:30:44(UTC)
Jolley43762

Many thanks Mike, as you can imagine I have researched numerous Australian and Queensland websites and lots of links and publications are available.

Thanks for taking the time to engage