Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User1999  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2024 11:36:14(UTC)
User1999

Hello,

I am fairly new to the industry and I was looking to see if I could get any advice on some questions I have.

I was wondering what specific qualifications you require to inspect firefighting equipment such as fire extinguishers. Say for example the company had a lot of vehicles that were all provided with fire extinguishers and needed to be inspected annually, what would a worker need to have to be legally competent to do this? I have heard something about BAFE, but don't truly understand it.

To add on, what qualifications would you need to conduct fire warden training internally?

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

firesafety101  
#2 Posted : 20 April 2024 14:48:27(UTC)
firesafety101

The FPA run all the necessary courses, there are other training providers though.  Have a look online.  they can be expensive but your employer may sponser you if you are servicing their extinguishers.

You can do Fire Warden training online quite cheaply.

Pirellipete  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2024 09:14:16(UTC)
Pirellipete

If you're talking bout the Annual Service/Inspection then that is a trained/competent person task, (FPA etec etc),  although, in lots of cases, if you rent you're extinguishers then the annual service/inspections are included in the contract

If you're talking about general, regular inspections, The RRO and BS show that 'Regular visual inspections' take place, (usually monthly),

In many workplaces this involves a visual check of the pressure guage, (is it in the green or red) and check for any visibly damage or corrosion to the cylinder, that the hose and nozzle is not blocked, damaged and that the 'tag' is still in place, etc And of course, that the extinguisher hasn't been operated and the 'Service Date' is still in date

These checks can be carried out by 'most' people and many company's get one of the Fire Marshalls to do it, (otherwise the Safety Guy generally ends up doing it),, and if any extinguishers are in the red, have been discharged or have visible damage etc then you would call in the trained and competent technician, who's probably done the FPA/BFE 4-day x £1000 training course

Edited by user 24 April 2024 09:19:03(UTC)  | Reason: edits

firesafety101  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2024 10:33:26(UTC)
firesafety101

When I was fire health and safety in a factory there were redundancies going on.  I got a volunteer to take the course and become the fire extinguisher technition for the company.  He had a full time job looking after the hundreds of extinguishers plus sprinkler systems and the fire alarm weekly tests.