Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mseamarks  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2024 16:16:21(UTC)
mseamarks

Hi,

I am dealing with a difficult neighbour who has a lot of time on her hands! We have already had a vist by our local Fire & Rescue service who have classed her previous complants about overcrowding, no fire alarm systems and a drive not big enough for applainces as vexatious and will not respond to any further calls she makes.

We have a nursery in a residential area and have recently fitted maintained emergency lighting to the rear of the building above the emergency exits and another to lead the occupants to the assembly point, this consists of 3 x LED bulkheads as there is no or insufficient ambient lighting. The nursery is occupied from approx 0600 to 1900 Mon-Fri.

Her latest complaint is the lights cause light pollution in the area and highlight her bounday to burglars and the white electrical cable is not acceptable and ruins the building.

I am considering installing a photocell with a time clock set to the above times which shoud result in the lights only being on between the above times when the natural lighting is below the photocell threshold.

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my proposal?

Many thanks

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2024 18:34:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

Ring the council and ask the opinion of their environmental health officers.

My neighbour recently installed one of those frame clocks with cycling (colour) backlight very bright illumination shining directly in to the rear of my property - no planning permission required and nothing the council were going to do about it. High electricity bills have forced a re-think having it lit at all times.

As to the burglary business His Majesties Constabulary would likely point out opportunist thieves do not like being in the limelight.

Unless you are in a designated "dark skies" area there will be little interest from the authorities.

If you do pander to the neighbour with a timer remember it will need adjusting twice a year.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2024 18:34:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

Ring the council and ask the opinion of their environmental health officers.

My neighbour recently installed one of those frame clocks with cycling (colour) backlight very bright illumination shining directly in to the rear of my property - no planning permission required and nothing the council were going to do about it. High electricity bills have forced a re-think having it lit at all times.

As to the burglary business His Majesties Constabulary would likely point out opportunist thieves do not like being in the limelight.

Unless you are in a designated "dark skies" area there will be little interest from the authorities.

If you do pander to the neighbour with a timer remember it will need adjusting twice a year.