Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2003 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Julian Meer I have spent 17 years working in the Major Hazard Industries of Nuclear and Chemical. Now an oppertunity to work in H&S within Local Authority has arisen. Has anybody made a similar change? What were the biggest contrasts - especially in terms of safety culture? I can guess at how things may be different, but, "Guess work's best if it's right" Did anybody make the change only to make a similar one back? I thank you for any views of real experience.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2003 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By A Olsen Julian, I've done exactly what you describe. High hazard industry to public sector and back again. In my opinion, it depends on what you are looking for career-wise. Have e-mailed you directly.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2003 14:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel Hi. I have done the same thing - a very rewarding change in many ways and very very frustrating in others - Try to get things done when there is little accountability, if any, and politics are on the minds of managers before other things. Money is spent with a political head on it and cannot be easily used as an arguement for improvement as councils are not profit making organisations I have found that things like violence by the public towards council employees is far more likely than a major problem on a high hazard but professionally managed site Sites do not have to deal with the general public as council employees do and nor does the HSE [in any kind of enforcing role. Nor do they have anything in their book re managing the public]. If you do not get disheartened easily you should enjoy yourself - all the best in your new venture.