Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2003 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Hannah i'm seriously thinking about going self employed as a H&S advisor,has anyone else done this ?Any advice, what are the potential pitfalls?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2003 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Phil, I went self employed in April of this year after 14 years as a practitioner/enforcement officer/consultant and am pleased that I did. In no particular order the following is my advice to you: You need to make sure that you have some money in your bank to cover you for the early days while you are building up your client base and waiting for the buggers to pay you! You should try to establish links with other existing consultancies to see if you can get work as a sub contract consultant. Get yourself a good business manager at your local bank. Get yourself a good accountant otherwise you will spend all your free time doing your bookkeeping and VAT/tax returns. Think about whether you operate as a sole trader, partnership or limited company as there are tax and other issues that are affected by your choice. Think about whether you are going to voluntarily register for VAT even if you do not meet the threshold for compulsory registration as there are pros and cons to this also. Make sure you chase overdue payments efficiently as these can get out of hand and you may end up being owed a lot of money but have none to live on. Consider taking out critical accident/ill health insurance in case you are unfortunate enough to be unable to work for any length of time. Shop around for professional indemnity insurance as this varies greatly and you would be foolish to operate without it (some clients won't touch you if you do not have any). Remember to set your charges at a reasonable rate to be able to compete with others but not so low as you end up not making enough (you do not work and get paid for 365 days per year and when you are on holiday you are not earning). There are a whole host of other things to consider but for me the above list just sticks in my mind. Wish you every success. Regards, Paul Craythorne Paul Craythorne Associates
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2003 19:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie I would suggest speaking to your local "business link" team, or browse their web site "wwww.businesslink.org.uk" They are funded by the DTi and hold courses for people starting up in business. When I started I attended an introductory one day course before I left full time employment. I then attended a more detailed three day course which set me off on the right footing. I also agree with everything Paul has said, especially the accountant, do your homework and find someone that understands consultancy work. My only other advice is to make sure that you put money away to pay the tax man as you probably won't hand over any tax due for some time (up to 18 months) but he still wants his pound (sorry half kilo) of flesh.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2003 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis Phil I am also thinking of doing the same, and may be going ahead early new year, after I have looked in to things in a bit more detail. On thing that concerns me is location of work, as I am based in North Wales, there doesnt seem to be a lot of call for consultants here really -not a great deal of industry until you get into the North West and Manchester areas, which would mean a lot of time on the road for me. Still, it seems promising as the consultants I have spoken to or who have contributed to this forum seem to be doing OK ..... unless we hear otherwise! Hope you have every success Paul Bellis
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2003 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton I would add to the other responses that you should prepare your master policy and procedures documents, risk assessment proformas etc as soon as possible. If not already, become computer literate as you can develop your own website etc for very little outlay. Learn to 'walk away' from prospective clients who are likely to be bad payers or who have problems/issues outside your competence. Most work will come through networking or as an associate for established consultancies, cold calling and letter drops are not very productive. Be very wary of advertising in publications such as 'Yellow Pages' the cost is high and the return is poor in my experience. Be prepared to be harassed by companies trying to sell their services or to get you to advertise in their publication.A firm NO is the best polite word I've found. Ensure your quotations are as comprehensive as possible and if you take on retained work ensure that you get the client to sign an agreement detailing fees etc. Don't set your fee level too low, it beats me how some 'consultants' can cover their costs. Budget for no more than 10 chargable days per month any more will be a bonus. Stick to the fields you are competent in, pass on other work to associates who will return the compliment (usually). Don't trade without PI Insurance Good luck!