Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2004 20:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Birney Do any of the consultants out there have any advice on how to go about setting up in business. What kind of experience is required, how qualified should you be, are there any pitfalls. Thanks Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2004 11:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim GB I am also interested in this topic. Both wife and I are employed in H&S positions as advisors, both experienced, both passed NEBOSH Part 1. Starting Part 2 in a fortnight. Starting own consultancy seems only option available at present as frustratingly H&S positions in Aberdeen seem to be filled with unqualified people who have sidestepped into the role from other parts of the business. Any advice would be appreciated
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2004 17:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton Some tips. Get on a 'starting a small business course'run by Business Link or other provider. Look at the market place for consultancy in your area. Contact established consultancies for possible associate work. Get Professional Indemnity before undertaking any work. Search the archives on this forum for similar topics as they have been responded to. Decide on a memorable name and strap line for your company to make it different from all the others out there.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2004 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Wilf Archer Robin is right with his advice. I would also add that you need a USP (Unique Selling Point). The market is full of people out there who are delivering much needed but market saturated low level H&S courses. I know of consultants doing very well with just a NEBOSH Cert. but they are extremely limited in the areas they can deliver or expand into. I would also write down why you want to go into consultancy work. Make sure you are clear and as detailed as you possibly can be. Because once you have entered the field of play you are stuck with the game. Money is slow to come in at the start so it might be worth either you or your partner starting the business first rather than both jumping in feet first. Try your local college if you can get a spot delivering on their Certificate course. Likewise as Robin mentioned in the early days it is well worth working with others in the business as an associate as this gets you known and allows you to gain some experience. However if you choose to go down this road you have to be aware that a cash split of 50/50 as a share of the course income is not unusual, particularly if someone else is getting you the work. Just make sure that your 50% is as much profit as you can negotiate. All admin should be at the cost of the person running the course. Also as a cautionary note. Get an agreement that all the course materials that you produce belong to you and not the training organisation and never ever undercut them and renegotiate the contract. Anyway good luck Wilf.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2004 20:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve bielby best advice I receieved when I started- it's not what you charge that matters, its what you get paid. Choose who you work for with care, don't just rush in. Steve