Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2009 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By GST I have just secured an interview with a local authority that provides adult social care for people with learning disabilities. As part of the interview I have been asked to do a 15 minute presentation on the theme: OH&S skills and knowledge are transferable.......... 'In terms of risk management, how is this demonstrated when implementing from your previous careers, into an Adult social Care setting.' I have been told that a PowerPoint presentation is acceptable! If anyone can provide any advise it would be greatly appreciated as I am not used to doing presentations! Many Thanks in advance GST.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 August 2009 21:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By SNS 15 minutes is not long, it maybe daunting but with a few prompting powerpoint slides you could probably talk for hours on skills transfer. Your question: 'In terms of risk management, how is this demonstrated when implementing from your previous careers, into an Adult social Care setting.' What have you done before? obviously enough to get an interview. What was on your CV? pick out a few points to expand on. Specifically relating risk management from previous jobs: Manual handling? Facilities/buildings general risks; - electricity, gas? domestic setting areas, bedroom and offices? Working at height? The help menu of powerpoint is pretty good, make use of the wizards. Keep it straightforward - not a display of transitions and colour themes. Not too many words on each slide, use them as prompts with keyword bullets. Have a look at http://www.businessballs.com/presentation.htm for hints and tips. Practice, then practice some more. Review and then practice some more. You are selling your abilities and skills, get a trusted person to watch and critique your presentation. You don't have to use powerpoint but as they have mentioned it it is probably what they want. Check beforehand what it is going to be shown on, save it onto CDROM and memory stick. Include the powerpoint reader on whatever you save it onto to make sure that it will open. Test it on a different system than the one on which you write it. Enjoy the experience! Good luck S
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 August 2009 20:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By trevor-ross As already stated, review I like to have my powerpoint slides printed out with extra bullet points on them. Dont know the topic but 15 mins is not long and will fly in if you prepare well. Good Luck T.R
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 September 2009 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By GST Thanks for your advice! Very helpful! GST.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 September 2009 11:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuff4blokes GST, Powerpoint is a mere tool in presentations. The real effort should be in what you say, how you say it, how you engage your audience and question handling. Do not be sidetracked in to "talking to the slides" but use them to illustrate your points (fewer and less on each slide is better, usually). The interview panel may well be interested to see how you do the presentation as much as in the subject itself. Practice, ptractice, practice etc without the Powerpoint then learn how to integrate it in to your presentation. Good luck.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2009 13:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Hi GST Ask how many on panel and have sufficient handout copies of your presentation e.g. as 3 to a page notes pages, so that your audience have somewhere to note down what you are saying to various bullets. Clean copy - Title and no more than 6 bullets per slide, with good contrast between text and background. No fancy fonts - Arial is best. Ask them to keep questions to end. ...and as already said plenty of practice in advance checking timings. Good luck, Peter
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 September 2009 17:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By A Campbell Hi GST, Not sure if time permits... Why not contact your local housing associations who should have housing for young persons and learning difficulties? You may even get to look at a place and then evaluate you past experience into the settings and routines associated with running these from a management perspective?
MJoyceB  
#8 Posted : 08 September 2023 03:29:28(UTC)
MJoyceB

Presentation Structure is very important when preparing your presentation.

Studies show that audiences retain structured information with 40% more accuracy than unstructured information.

Here is a helpful presentation training that could help.

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 08 September 2023 08:23:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Tried  to report this resurrected post but nothing seems to have happened-have THEY given up!

thanks 4 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
chris42 on 08/09/2023(UTC), RVThompson on 08/09/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 08/09/2023(UTC), Roundtuit on 08/09/2023(UTC)
chris42  
#10 Posted : 08 September 2023 08:30:00(UTC)
chris42

seemed to let me report.

thanks 3 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
RVThompson on 08/09/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 08/09/2023(UTC), Roundtuit on 08/09/2023(UTC)
HSSnail  
#11 Posted : 12 September 2023 12:34:21(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: MJoyceB Go to Quoted Post

Presentation Structure is very important when preparing your presentation.

Studies show that audiences retain structured information with 40% more accuracy than unstructured information.

Here is a helpful presentation training that could help.

Quote:

Think they either got the job or this is a bit late! Clearly bots cannot read dates - hears to a world or artificial intelligence!

peter gotch  
#12 Posted : 12 September 2023 14:22:40(UTC)
peter gotch

Thanks HSSnail (Donoghue v Stevenson?)

Given that the bot is going historic, I looked at my CV which only includes two items under the heading Training.

The latter of these was "Presentation Skills" in 1993 - which I have often said was the second most useful training I ever attended after 12 hours learning how to touch type (which I have never included in my CV!).

So, "Studies show that audiences retain structured information with 40% more accuracy than unstructured information".

Wonder what the bot would consider as the difference between structured information and unstructured information

Cos after two days in Wakefield followed by a 2 hour one to one with the trainer, my slides invariably had much less information on them than before.

Instead some bullets, so structured but mostly there as pointers for what I was going to say.

Whereas I suspect the bot would still go for the proverbial Death by Powerpoint and potentially actionable if the cause of "Death" was done in the workplace?