Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2000 19:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Richards Can someone please assist. I work on a 200 employee heavy industry site (not construction)We are considering the implementation of a full hard hat site however I'd like to support this with objective evidence of the advantages of this (both for and against)therefore can anyone provide 1:general statistics,2:full arguements for and against3: key points and specific improvemnts when the HSE brought in the wearing of hard hats, under law, on construction sites. P.S I'm a manager who wants to make sure he gets it right so I'd be greatfull for your help. cheers!!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2000 22:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm sorry to see that you haven't received an answer to your questions. It may be that you are asking for more information than those of us who log on here have readily available. The Construction (Head Protection) Regulations 1989 have been in force for some 10 years and I seem to remember that adherance was somewhat gradual. It may be that either the HSE Construction National Interest Group (020 7556 2100) or the RoSPA Occupational Safety Division (0121 248 2000) will be able to produce the statistics you are seeking. Whilst those regulations are specifically limited in their application to certain types of workplace, it should be borne in mind that employers have a duty under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (formerly 1992) to assess workplace risks, record significant findings, establish controls, monitor, review, etc. It follows, therefore, that if you have a risk of persons being hit by falling objects this will be significant and unless you can remove this risk by other reasonably practicable means you will need by law to provide personal protection. The best arguement I can think of to persuade management of the need to require employees to wear hard hats is to hypothetically offer them the opportunity to wear one while a hammer is dropped onto their heads! If the need is this obvious, it will also be to the enforcing authority, the Courts and the legal advisors of the injured or their next of kin as they prepare to sue for considerable damages due to negligence.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2000 10:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster And lets not forget other good reasons for wearing head protection, where there may not be as great a risk from falling objects as in the construction industry. Process plant designers are notorious for designing pipework for a good head clearance, then attaching valve handwheels, pipe supports etc. During maintenance I have ducked under a pipeline, to come up directly under another hidden piece of equipment. I have seen scaffolders wearing the sort of headgear normally associated with rock climbers. So it is important to properly assess just what sort of risk the headgear is intended for and select accordingly, not just dish out the standard construction hard hat. John