Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2000 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MICHELLE BROWN THIS IS NO JOKE - WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING A HEALTH AND SAFETY OFFICER AND A HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGER?? IS MORE RESPONSIBILTY INVOLVED IF YOU ARE MANAGER??
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2000 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I suppose that, ultimately, it depends upon the job description given to the post by the employer - who might well select from a number of terms used as titles for these jobs. However, my expectation of a Health & Safety Manager would be of one who manages the health and safety function of the organisation - probably managing subordinate employees and being a member of the Management Team. The Health & Safety Adviser(or) might, presumably, only be there to provide professional advice - whereas the Health & Safety Officer might also provide an executive, enforcement, regulatory, inspection, audit, etc, etc role. However, 'A rose by any other name, etc..'. It would be interesting to hear an IOSH HQ view on this.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2000 16:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernard Angus If relative responsibilities were the same in every organisation, then it would be quite easy to distinguish between the Manager role,the Officer role and the Advisor role, but life isn't easy. These things are complicated by employers who,often not understanding what they really need, complicate the issues. Some 'Health and Safety Advisor'posts offer salaries up to £40K and some 'Manager' posts only offer £19K. An employer,as in most things, will attract and get what he is prepared to pay for in terms of quality, whatever he calls the post. Bernard
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2000 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MICHELLE BROWN THANKS TO BERNARD AND KEN FOR THE REPLIES. NOW I AM REALLY CONFUSED, MY MAIN JOB IS CREDIT CONTROLLER AND I HAVE TO FIT HEALTH AND SAFETY DUTIES IN WHEN I CAN. I HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE TITLE HEALTH AND SAFETY OFFICER BUT IS THIS CORRECT??
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2000 20:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Hi, Michelle. As a credit controller, could you arrange to send me some credits please... Managers are responsible for managing e.g a department, section etc etc. Officers usually serve under a manager as subordinates and assist the manager in undertaking the departments function as a whole. Assistants assist. Usually subordinate to an officer, and assist the officers in the undertaking, performing the less onerous tasks or tasks that require less 'expertise' Hope this helps, but as other have noted, the 'title' given by employer to a member of staff may differ according to their company structure, ethos or hierachy etc, or indeed the knowledge of systems and procedures that they may have or exist within their respective company. Hope this helps.... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2000 21:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor To address your second question: the important things are that you can do the job and are competent - to a point that would 'stand up' in Court if necessary. I have come across the term 'Health and Safety Officer' given to various employees during the course of their main employment (school teachers, union officials, etc) in fact I can remember a job advert a few years ago for a 'Car Park Attendant/Safety Officer'! The title, I would contend, implies duties to inspect and advise - the consequences of which could have implications for the safety and lives of others and resultant litigation. Have you been appointed to assist the employer in discharging his/her duties under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations? If so, evidence of competence will be important.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2000 21:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Michelle, I have responded on the duplicate posting that you submitted. Paul
Admin  
#8 Posted : 21 November 2000 23:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Partington There was research undertaken a few years ago (2-3) that concluded that there are approximatly 53 titles doing roughly the same job... Therefore in HS a title does not really mean a great deal. For your part as a credit controler I would suggest to your manager that that you either appoint a proper HS professonal full time or hire an occassional consultant, depentant on your need and size of your undertaking. For your part don't worry too much as due to vicarious liability your employer is responsible for your actions and also for their failure to appoint a competent person. If yours is a small, low risk operation then you may be able to do this job if you undertake the NEBOSH HS certificate. If you get stuck then drop me a line.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 22 November 2000 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard I seem to remember a learned opinion a year or so ago which suggested that an "officer" would be regarded as an officer of the company, and would be expected to take some responsibility for his or her actions. An "advisor" would be just that, the final responsibility lying with the person who took, or rejected, the advice. I suggest that regardless of title the courts would pay due regard to salary, someone on £20k bearing, perhaps, more responsibility than soemone on £10k. However, I am not a lawyer! Richard
Admin  
#10 Posted : 22 November 2000 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Michelle, Try not to get too concerned about what title you hold or indeed what salary bracket you are in (as suggested by another correpondent). All of that is superflous to what appears to be your underlying question, i.e what does my company require of me and am I sufficiently skilled to do the job. (My apologies if I have misinterpreted your concerns). However, if they are your real concerns then the solution is to have your employer clarify what they require of you, in your H&S role. From that baseline you can, in consultation with your line manager establish what skills you already have to help you fulfill that role and determine what additional skills you will need to improve your input to the job. A very simple skills audit such as this, coupled with a timescale for actioning/ closing the skills gap will give you the confidence to proceed in your new role. H&S consultants follow a broadly similar path except that they tend to self-analyse to ensure that they can meet the needs of their various clients. Hope this helps. Slainte Ciaran
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 November 2000 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Hill As a Safety Professional, I have been called a wide variety of things in the course of my work. Manager, Officer, Advisor and also once or twice, names that shouldn't really be repeated here. (You know who you are and you're off my Christmas card list!) As everyone who has responded seems to agree, this is a very difficult one to call. My own ideas on the subject would run along the following lines. Theoretically, a company's health and safety policy should feature an Organisation chart or explain who is responsible to whom and for what. Surely from this, you could see just where your position fits in the whole order of things and consequently the level of authority/responsibility the role carries. Hopefully, this angle will be of some use. Regards Jerry