Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2000 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Dickerson We have a safer handling policy in place that says get rid of unecessary lifting. My dilema is what do we do when training staff in practical fire evacuation procedures. Does any one have a good video or could advise the way forward
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2000 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts James, I'm not sure what you are asking but I am in the process of training all our staff in Fire Awareness Training. I am using a Power Point presentation produced by Paul Bullows and a video Called Get Out Stay Out from FTV as well as practial fire extinguisher training. The Power Point Presentation is available as a free download from http:www.web-safety.com/ which has a Safety Exchange facility and is extremly easy to follow and use with a bit of research. The video is available from Fire Training Videos Ltd. Telephone +44 (0) 1273 461192. I hope this is of some use although it does not mention safer handling? Regards Phil Roberts
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2000 23:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun mckeever I don't understand the link between manual handling and fire evacuation. Could you elaborate. Thanks
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2000 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Dickerson Hi. The message regarding fire training was posted by one of my colleagues during my absence and unfortunately is not very clear. The problem we have that as part of our fire training proceedures we have to take into account that some of our patients (we are an acute NHS hospital) will be unable to leave a ward by themselves. Depending on the whereabouts of the fire it may be possible to push the patients out of a ward on the bed. However,this may not always be possible and it may be necassary to take the patient down an external staircase in which case the bed can not be used. Under each mattress is a skid sheet on which are straps which fasten around the patient. The mattress is pulled from the bed with the patient lying on it and dragged along the floor and down the stairs.We need to train our staff in the correct methods of doing this and are seeking advice from colleagues who have overcome a similar problem. Jim
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2000 23:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ken Parker Jim, You can contact the Divisional Officer in charge of the London Fire Brigade Research & Development Group. They have had an ongoing project looking into Casdualty Handling including evacuation of hospital patients and it repercussions. They may well be able to give you some good advice on this subject. the Divisional Officer you need to speak to is Mr.Dave Mannings. 0207 582 3811 and ask the operator for him. Best wishes. ken Parker
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2000 08:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Dickerson Ken, Many thanks for the information. Will do as you suggest. Jim
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 December 2000 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Presumably your procedures will have taken into account the value of horizontal evacuation and use of places of refuge for non-ambulant persons and the practices for moving people downstairs will only apply when the alternatives are not reasonably practicable? The reference to 'emergency action' in the Guidance to the Manual Handling Operations Regs should also be considered (see HSE publication L23). I remember attending a training course on hospital fire procedures some years ago where these procedures were practiced. I think it was by the Surrey Fire Brigade Training Centre at Wray Park. Your local fire service may be able to assist in this respect.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 21 December 2000 13:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan I was faced with this problem at my Trust. Although the staff had received regular fire safety training - they had never had the opportunity to practice evacuation techniques with regard to getting immobile patients out of a ward/department using the equipment provided becausde of the manual handling issues involved. Because I thought this was important both myself and the fire advisor set up a number of simulation exercises using a manikin of appropriate proportions and average adult male weight. For manual handling risk purposes we only asked the staff to test the weight of the manakin but not actually move it, this was combined with a smoke filled room, confined spaces, beds, lockers etc. These sessions went down extremely well with staff and above all reinforced the importance of fire prevention rather than experiencing the difficulties which would ensue in a real fire evacuation situation. Staff with known back or respiratory problems were voluntarily excluded from the practice and there were no safety problems.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 27 December 2000 08:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Dickerson Dear All, Many thanks for your replies. I have spoken with Dave Mannings as suggested by Ken Parker. He is unable to help as he has no knowledge of evacuation proceedures in hospitals. We already have horizontal evacuation proceedures in place and are able to move patients from a ward to a temporary place of safety which would be done on the beds of bedbound patients. We are considering training in a similar manner as that described by Lance and are hoping that this will suffice and satisfy training requirements. Many thanks. Jim
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 January 2001 19:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton Not sure if this will help but as regards getting people who are unable to walk down stairs there is a device called an EVAC chair..but may not be practical for large numbers..we use it for disabled staff and or clients (social work dept)It can be used by one person but i guess u still have to lift clients from the bed..