Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2000 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Byron Rodgers All three computer rooms at one of our Data Centres have dedicated Emergency Power Off buttons (EPO). These, when pressed will trip the Power Distribution Units and power to the equipment in the room will be switched off. The cost of testing these EPO circuits is considerable as it requires all of the equipment within the room to be powered off individually in an orderly fashion. This needs planning very precisely and is very resource hungry. I have been scouring documents and regulations (IEE 16th Edition) to identify if there is a Legal Safety requirement to have EPO circuits. I can't find anything, and if there is not then I would like to propose that they be removed. Does anyone know anything of the legal and safety considerations, please? Byron
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2000 08:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I don't think you will find anything in the IEE Regs on this either - but you could try having a chat with the IEE technical people on 020 7240 1871 Extension 8420 if you wish. We know why we have these things in laboratories, workshops, plant rooms and the like - as their name implies. The question needs to be asked as to why they have been provided for reasons of safety in your locations. What is the extent and magnitude of the risk being addressed? What are the computers controlling? What are the requirements of the fire authority? etc. I would not want to arrange for their removal without a written report from a 'competent person' (eg electrical engineer).