Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2000 19:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin I'm experiencing a difficulty with a Union safety rep who seems to be under the illusion that everything management plan has to be approved by him. Could somebody out there please define consultation, having studied the safety committee safety rep regs and applied the guidance in L87 (little brown book) I still have allegations made by this rep of poor consultation
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 December 2000 00:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ken Parker Kevin, Having been a Trade Unions H&S rep for the past 20 years I would like to make the following points without being predantic: 1. Does your organisation have an H&S Committee in place in accordance with The Safety Representative and Safety Committees Regulations 1977? If it does, then I would suggest that the best venue for the rep resentative to air his/hers views would be thiat committee. Following on from this, almost all Trade Unions allow local negoitations at local levels. Failures to agree between Unions and Management at local level on any issue can then be forwarded to regional Level and finally to National Level. My point to that particular Rep would be that both Management and Trade Union were in place to create a safe working environment for all and not to score points. The trouble is we don't live in the perfect environment? Hope this helps. Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year. Ken Parker.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2000 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman The operative word is "consult". You should lay aout the situation (whatever it is)and request comments and advice. To my knowledge, there is no obligation to accept the advice offered. Merv Newman
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2000 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Perhaps the confrontation arose because the Rep was not 'part' of the "management plan"! As with all consultation processes, it's not compliance with the law that determines success but people and methods. The Rep should be treated as one of the Team in developing a safety culture in the workplace and that person has a key role due to knowledge of the actual people and processes that create risk. The active H&S Committee should not only comprise Safety representatives appointed by their Unions, but also interested business unit employees, supported by their direct management. If those people are involved in their own business unit or Team safety plans and training programmes, they will naturally be more interested in cooperation and see the successes of active participation in overall planning. I sense that in this case, there is a 'need to know' ethic and the Rep feels out of the decision process, when in fact, if trusted (and that is a key attribute and aspect of team involvement) that person would treat confidences with respect and contribute actively to the management planning process. So, go on! Make your Reps part of the Safety Planning Team - and make them accountable for certian aspects of it - they will soon become contributing, highly respected members of the workforce, instead of whingeing annoyannces to management, who are simply out to block any decision not favourable to them! Call me if you need some examples of how we work at safety here at Powergen. Regards and a better New Year! George Wedgwood FIOSH, RSP
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2000 18:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Here Here George, What a refreshing change to hear a manager think like this, rather than the two previous respondants who just think all that matters is the minimum that can be got away with, to notify the staff side what they are going to do, listen, then do what they want anyway. A staff side representative at my works was seconded to help management with health and safety issues for five months last year and was subsequently awarded the employee of the year from over two thousand staff. Just goes to prove that staff side can be positively motivated if the management respect their knowledge and expertise and not just treat them as a fly in the ointment. Best Regards Lee Bennett
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2000 19:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Effective partnerships are the key to health and safety improvements, says HSC Chair: http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/c00036.htm