Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2001 16:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Wright I have been asked by my organisation to look at introducing a PTW system throughout our site. We are a large food manufacturer in the North West with approx 1800 employees/contractors on site. I would appreciate any information, guidance, examples, web sites etc that anyone out there may be able to give me. I am prepared to visit sites that would allow me too in order to gain information and possibly see these in operation. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2001 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Conway Peter, check out "Guidance on permit-to-work systems in the petroleum industry" C50 available from HSE Books (£8.50). This guidance is applicable to other industries. Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2001 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Peter. The areas in which we operate permit to work systems are as follows: 1. Confined Spaces 2. Hot work 3. Boilers & Pressure Systems 4. Petroleum, oils, lubricants 5. Electrical 6. Mechanical 7. Piped Gas systems 8. Excavations (permit to dig) 9. Masts and Towers ( could also cover work at heights generally) All these systems and areas of work have a set of procedures to be followed and appointed 'Authorised Persons' to control them. In adition, all contractors are required to produce evidence of suitability to undertake thee works, training and qualifications ect and obvious meet the health & safety requirements and checks imposed by the company in the Quality Assurance procedures before they even get on-site. Our systems are, I think, substantial and robust and require a high level of operation and maintenance/audit. They are not for everyone !! Hope this assists... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2001 19:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Peter, One thought that springs to mind is - what is the permit for? A PtW is normally required where the risk is above acceptable levels and proper controls need to be maintained. To issue a'general' PtW will dilute the requirement if used where risk levels are normally acceptable. My organisation does insist on PtW systems being used for specific types of work by contractors. I normally deal with a number of contractor organisations and have experienced some peculiar circumstances. One particular organisation claimed, so far as I could count, 22 different types of PtW for various types of work - included in this list was a PtW to be used when hiring plant. OTT or what? If you would like to make contact, I can discuss the topic, but would warn about the frivolous use of a PtW. Regards Jim Sweetman