Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2001 05:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Back in December there was considerable discussion in these columns regarding the law in the UK relating to the use of Mobile Phones whilst driving. I am currently involved with a major construction project in Hong Kong. (Just for information: There is Road Traffic legislation here in Hong Kong curbing the use of Mobiles whilst driving. It's effectiveness is however questionable.) For those of you who are unfamiliar with this part of the world, Not having a mobile or a pager is like having a body that has no lungs or a heart. Peoples lives will be unfullfilled if they do not have there mobile communications. However, the issue apart from driving that I am struggling with is the use of Mobiles by:amongst others, including Managers,supervisers etc., Crane operators; Pile Rig operators; Carpentars cutting timber on circular woodworking saws; Scaffolders clambering around on and erecting/dismantling scaffold,(Bamboo or Metal system);Plant operators driving/operating just about any type of Construction machine or vehicle that you can think of; and just about any other discipline or worker you can think of, including supervisery personnel going about there work tasks. etc., etc., The concern is that the Mobile takes priority over the work task. The phone/pager owner whatever he/she (we have lots of Female labour on site as well) is doing, immediately responds to the Communication device. This is as you can imagine a serious distraction and a very likely premptive contributor to an incidet/accident. (You should see some of the contorted Phone holding and positioning that goes on to allow the respondent to speak/listen but carry on with the work operation/task). We addres the issue at Induction, Tool Box Talks, by issuance of Site notices and safety Guide posters, and by requiring all our Contactors and there many tiers of related and sub contractors to ban the use of Mobiles - Guidance in the Project Control Manual, Safety section. In our Project office, we have a FINE system for anyone who whilst in a meeting or training or other formal situation Fails to switch OFF there mobile. (The proceeds, Which have been considerable go the The Lightouse Club Benevolent Fud here in HK) This initiative is beginning to have some effect and has helped to reduce the disruption as well as the number of incidents. However to apply the same system to the whole site and all the tiers of contrcators and sub and sub sub contractors leads us into major legal, cultural and control issues that will not be solved overnight. We shall continue the propoganda measures to discourage use of Mobiles whilst performing work tasks, (put phone on Message response and check at work breaks etc.,) To separate the user and his/her appliance, as I stated at the begining would be like sentencing them to death. However this culture of the instancy of communcation devices and the urge to respond instatly to them presents I believe a very real risk. Worldwide is this a problem still to be recognised? Is this an issue where the societal benefit of technology is also likely to be a significant contributor to disaster, incident and accident? What is the icidence in the UK and other countries of workpeople in the workplace performing work tasks and responding to there mobiles and is it seen as a problem? I will be delighted to see and share comment and contribution to this issue. Regards in anticipation. Ken Urquhart
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2001 08:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You may remember from my little contribution to the earlier debate that I share your concern with regard to the use of mobile phones in non-driving situations also. The phrases we use in our H&S Manual / generic risk assessment include: 'Mobile phones will only be used when it is safe to do so'; 'Do not use whilst in control of a moving vehicle'; Switch off phone before undertaking hazardous tasks (eg working at height and operating machinery'; and 'Do not use when there is a risk of interference with technical equipment or systems'. Enforcement, however, is a more difficult exercise but, to borrow your earlier simile, using these phones could also be like a death sentence for someone!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2001 19:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Like several colleagues, I share your viewpoint regarding the use of the mobile phone. There is definitely a case of double standards involved where the Police are concerned, but I cannot speak for HSE. Tonight, I read in the local paper that a man has an instant fine of £20 for eating a biscuit whilst driving. A few months ago there was a court case where a woman was fined for drinking from a bottle of water - whilst the car was stationary at traffic lights! At the same time, multitudes of 'phoney' drivers are going through all sorts of contortions trying to speak on the phone and drive at the same time - and getting away with it as far as enforcement is concerned. Even though, like the majority of practitioners, I am at a loss to advise a way forward, I would draw attention to airlines and hospitals. When flying, passengers are requested to turn off mobile phones as they may interfere with the plane's instruments. to date, I have not seen a single non-compliance. Similarly, hospitals have signs up making the same request. Unfortunately they don't appear to enjoy the same standard of compliance as offenders are not always personnally at risk due failure of hospital equipment. However, ther are not many people who will use a mobile phone in a lot of ares within a hospital. In both these instances, the motivation is strong - a plane crash or a surgical failure. If someone can think of an equal motivation to convince people that mobile phones are probably best not used whilst working, ther will probably be a positive way forward.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2001 19:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton Hi I agree with all that is being said about this issue. I am not really adding to that just sharing an experience, which indicates the attitude and disregard for safety by many road users. I was on my way to the office a few days ago. As I approached a roundabout I noticed another car comming onto the roundabout some what erract. Closer inspection revealed the male driver with a mobile in one hand and a cgarette in the other playing pass the parcel with the steering wheel and the gear stick. need I say more. oh I stopped and let him drive on in oblivian!!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 January 2001 08:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Neville Johnson Ken In the Fire Service we use mobile communication, as you know and this, all-be-it a distraction in some circumstances, has an overall benefit to the efficiency of the emergency service we give. At the risk of going over old ground I disagree with the comment about double standards, the balance is that we receive regular and intense training as to the safe use of mobile radio/phones. There are dangers, as has been said, other than 'distraction' such as the risk if initiating an explosion in a flammable atmosphere and the possibility of interfering with electronic equipment such as medical equipment and aircraft control systems. Competent use in the circumstances of the case, I am sure, is your aim as opposed to a ban, but I think it must be an onerous task and I do not envy you. Best of luck Frank
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2001 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I find it interesting that much of the discussion still centres around the use of mobile phones while driving. Do other contributors have policies and safe working practices regarding their use in workplaces in non-driving situations?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 January 2001 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey I'd be interested to know what members of our Hong Kong branch think of Ken's original posting.