Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2001 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ernest LEE I am doing a study on the CDM regulations. Would anyone sugguest for the source of information on the major provisons of the regulations, the characteristics, the advantages and drawbacks, enforcement, etc.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2001 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Ernest, HSE conducted a series of CDM focus groups across UK and NI towards the end of 1998. I can't recall the outcome. the amn you could speak to is; Tony Hetherington Construction Sector - HSE St Dunstan's House 201-211 Borough High Street LONDON SE1 1GZ Tel: 01715562127 Fax: 01715562209 Let me know if that draws a blank and I will check some of my other sources. Also if you are interested I have the workshop summaries from a one-day conference that Institution of Civil Engineers ran in 1996. If you are interested e-mail me with your fax or postal address and I will get them to you. Regards Ciaran mailto:ciaran@confinedspaces.com
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2001 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston From the research section HSEs web site (check the last sentence of the first paragraph): "Project No: R33.069 "Construction Health and Safety for the New Millennium "Completion Year: 2000 "Contractor: Entec UK Limited "Background: "The construction industry remains the most dangerous landbased industry in which to work. Many characteristics of the current culture of industry combine to inhibit the development of effective health and safety management within the industry. Previous HSE sponsored work (Whittington, et al; 1992) highlights many of the problems which faced the industry in the early 1990s. This project aims to build on this previous work and other work on the factors which motivate pro-active health and safety management (also conducted by Entec for HSE). This research is particularly timely as it will attempt to assess the impact that CDM has had upon the industry. "Objectives: "1. This study aims to provide clear empirical evidence of the patterns and causes of occupational injuries and ill-health in the construction industry. It also aims to review the current approach to the management of health and safety in the UK construction industry. It also aims to identify and survey practices in other countries which have thought to have resolved or avoided some of the safety management problems observed in the UK construction industry and to provide advice on how best to improve the health and safety culture of this sector." I can't find a trace of the research report on HSE's or Entec's websites - perhaps you could try contacting them direct http://www.hse.gov.uk/feedback.htm http://www.entecuk.com/fr-cont.htm
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2001 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle There is good information of the CDM regs within the new CIBSE 'Guide 'D''New Transport Systems in Buildings' covering building /facilities management and building infrastuctures, particularly lifts and escalators etc... This gives advice on the roles and duties of all the practitioners involved, from client to Planning Supervisor, and details the requirements to be undertaken. Unfortunately the Guide is £80.00 per copy to non-members (£40.00 to members). If you can find a CIBSE member in your organisation it might help. Regards... Stuart Nagle