Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2001 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Smith Recently we have completed our DSE inhouse. However, as we are a Hospital we have several PC's that are situated on top of counters not desks e.g Reception areas/ Laboratories/ Pharmacies etc. Can anyone offer me some pratical advice on Assessing these on there Safety aspects because as you can guess none of these are within the DSE guidelines. Some of the chairs that are in use are specific for use at raised counters but are not again as per the DSE Guidelines as they have no lumbar support/ no casters (as they are on polished floors). Perhaps you have had a similar experiance and can offer me some advice. I am pretty lost with this as you can imagine.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2001 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment There is no reason why such a workstation should not meet the DSE Regs. High chairs are not ideal but as long as they have the lumbar support (such chairs are available!), an adjustable foot ring and no arm rests they should be OK. Castors should not be used because as well as moving across lino , tiles etc. they can make the chairs unstable. Staff must learn to get them in the right position before climbing aboard and then swiveling the seat to face the PC. The rest of the workstation should be the same as any other. Incidentally a big problem with counters etc. is the lack of depth and a subsequent lack of space for keyboard, hands etc. One of those sliding keyboard thingies that fits under the desk works very well. Just fitted about 12 in Pharmacy and Pathology = many happy staff. Ideally don't have the high benches, chairs etc. but with changing practice and ingenuity they will work fine. NB - not good where staff have to constantly move around the office - some workers were climbing the equivalent of a large Welsh hill every day!!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2001 23:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Bryn is quite right. If the staff are DSE users the workstations should, and ought to, be able to meet the Regulations. I have had this issue in the past with counter staff in rates offices and the like. It's worth getting some samples of high chairs for the staff to try out - the larger suppliers are usually happy to do this if they expect a good order! You could try glides instead of castors if some movement is needed but it's usually a matter of user technique!