Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2001 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Harsley Here's an interesting one, perhaps. A CDM question. An appointed planning supervisor who works 100 miles from the site and has no intention of re-visiting the site having visited once prior to the construction phase. My view, it is not reasonable to be able to successfully co-ordinate health and safety of a large construction project from the comfort of your arm chair?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2001 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Doesn't the responsibility for the health & safety plan pass to the principal contractor after the design & planning stage? E&OE! (see "is IOSH liable"....)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2001 11:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Strictly according to the CDM Regs they shouldn't have to re-visit. Their role is largely pre and post construction although it's very much horses for courses. Principal Contractors that have indicated a level of competency , working on a small project or one with low risks I would leave well alone. Others I may monitor a bit closer but still not get too involved. I must say that personally I do visit more sites than not.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2001 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Alan, quote from HSC Consultative Document CD161 especially (c) 6.9 The planning supervisor does not have a duty, under CDM, to: (a) approve the principal contractor’s construction-phase health and safety plan; (b) supervise the principal contractor’s implementation of the construction-phase health and safety plan; (c) monitor the construction work; (d) vet the competence and resources of designers and contractors, unless specifically requested; (e) approve or check designs; (f) approve the appointment of designers, principal contractors or contractors; or (g) verify information for the health and safety file which is received from others. Serious danger that a PS may cause contractual conflict. Quote from para 8.3.3 of CIRIA Report 173 "CDM Regulations - Practical guidance for planning supervisors" "A planning supervisor must avoid issuing communications that appear to be instructions, as this could lead to uncertainty, disputes and possibly to liability" Many of our PS commissions DO include for monitoring of the ongoing development and/or implementation of the construction phase H&S plan and/or site H&S standards, but these activities need skills (and diplomacy) which many PSs may not have. Of course the PS may find it useful to visit site to assist in ensuring transmission of risk-related information in new design or design changes; also to prompt timeous provision of information for the H&S File. Regards, P
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2001 16:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Once the construction phase starts, it is the Principle Contractor that is responsible for Site Health and Safety matters--in fact Planning Supervisors do not have duties for Site Health & Safety management under CDM Regulations. It appears that either clients/cleints agents commission them to undertake this role - but it is not a CDM requirement and as indicated, can result in conflicts. There could be some Planning Supervisor "outfits" that sell this part of their services to the naive clients. Alternatively, there could be some clients who simlpy want an independent check by the appointed planning supervisor on the Principle Contractor--even if not required by the CDM regulations.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2001 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Harsley I agree with all of the above and that was my interpretation of the Regs. however, I have been involved over the years with projects lasting 1, 2 or more years where the design can change dramatically and the only way to resolve issues is with site meetings. The reason for the question is following a large project, thankfully not my organisation, where, despite major design changes, the PS would not visit the site. I suppose it is the spirit of the Regs. and not a verbatim response from the PS that prompted my interest in others views. Cheers.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2001 21:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I seem to recall that, at one stage, advice was being given to Planning Supervisors not to visit sites in order to avoid association with the management regime of the Principal Contractor and implication in any subsequent legal action. I have also come across a number of clients who have assumed that their interest on site was being looked after by the Planning Supervisor. The respective duties under CDM need to be more publicised and clients positively advised to consider the need for their interest to be exercised during the construction phase by an appointed competent representative.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2001 21:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie I have read with interest the comments made so far. I agree that the Planning Supervisor has no CDM role in manging or monitoring the construction process. As such he/she should not interfere in the Principal Contractors management of the project. However, the Planning Supervisor does have duties in relation to on going design issues that take place during the construction phase (including temporary works design). The PS also has a duty to ensure the adequacy of the completed health and safety file. I find it difficult to see how he/she can fulfil these duties without a good knowledge of the prevailing site conditions, etc.