Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2001 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky Is it normal practice to dump chemicals from x-ray processing into the drains? There is a difference of opinion and I would like to hear what other hospitals do. (The environment agency reaffirmed photgraphic waste as special waste in January). Nicky
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2001 07:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mary Yu Developer and fixer should be disposed as chemical waste, your environmental protection agency should have the guidelines.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2001 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment I suspect that many Hospitals dilute the stuff and put down the drains. The re-affirmation is covered in the Environment Agency Special Waste Env't Note 068. This is available on their website. Categorisation of your x ray waste as 'Special' is dependent on what substances you use and what the limiting concentration is. Check out the guidance and then don your Sherlock Holmes disguise and investigate ! Only speaking for my Trust, we would need a tanker parked out the back of Radiology and would kiss goodbye to our proposed MRI scanner if we have to treat our volumes as 'Special'! I will be chasing it further with NHS Estates in Leeds and will post something else later.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2001 21:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Nicky. Most waste of a radioactive nature used in hospitals has a limited lifespan in respect of being a risk to persons who come into contact with it, e.g. it decays quite quickly, or so I have been informed by an expert. Practice at one of the establishments I look after is that the material is stored in a controlled system, which safeguards the material and prevents it being disposed of prior to reaching the levels when it is no more a hazard than normal background radiation present. The actual disposal is not into the drainage system though, but via clinical 'special'waste arrangements specifically (as far as I know) for disposal of materials of this nature. If you are interested I shall see if I can find out some more for you... Please advise accordingly. regards... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2001 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Just spoken to the EA man and he stated that this only applies if transporting your waste to a disposal facility. If you operate in this way then you'll need to study the document and assess as to whether or not it's Special Waste, his view was that a lot of it would be . If you currently reclaim the silver and then dilute and flush to foul drains you may continue as long as you have the relevant Consent to Discharge from your local Water Authority. If you don't have such consent you should apply for it. If you don't have it and don't want it you are on dangerous ground and should resign from your post immediately!! Hope this clarifies things.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2001 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky Dear Bryn, Thanks for the info'. The Risk Manager has also just had the same info' from the EA, though they were a little upset that she told them their explanatory note wasn't as clear as she thought it should be! Thanks again, Nicky