Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2001 14:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
Our manual handling trainer (no pun intended) has expressed some concern at staff in our hospital wearing backless work shoes. These are very popular (being designed for nurses etc) and offer the wearer a high degree of comfort. But she thinks there is a risk of injury from them slipping off, particularly when pushing & pulling trolleys, beds etc.

Correct footwear for the task is a particularly sensitive issue following a ladder fatality, but I am reluctant to endorse her concerns unless I can be shown evidence of accidents (or near misses) caused by this type of footwear.

Any experiences out there?

Thanks

John
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2001 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Do you mean the 'clog' type shoes that they wear in Theatres?

If so then no, they are not suitable for everyday wear particularly walking. Fine for mainly static work e.g Theatres. No figures for accidents just experience of wearing them and an assessment (that word is becoming over-used!!)of clogs and activities.

The only accident I've seen was a Nurse wearing clogs who was handling a patient in bed. She leaned over and lifted her foot off the floor, the clog fell off and when she put her foot back down it slipped along the lino. The only problem was that her opposite knee was on the bed and she did a very ungainly and painful looking splits! - Laugh? I cried!

In summary, fully enclosed shoes for all staff apart from In Theatres.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2001 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
Usual risk assessment should apply. I cover 6 production kitchens (canteen/restaurant level)plus the same number of training kitchens and bakeries. Many of the staff and students wear backless clogs. It causes me no problems, and I do not recall any related accident reports. For our students in particular any suggestion of increased risk would make me twitch! It must depend very much on the task, floor surface etc.

Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2001 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marion Virgo-Blackman
I must admit I do like wearing clogs. To solve your problem you or your employees could purchase clogs which do have straps which go around the back of your ankle like a sandal (they are available). Then you have staff happy and the shoes are secure.

Hope this helps
Regards
MARION
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2001 18:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey
These are very common within the catering industry and do come in all sorts of styles, I would not encourage there wear, if the shoe is not a 100% good fit then the risk of slipping off the heal is very high. I can remember one very nasty incident, this seems to be a problem especially if staff are in a hurry (common in the hospitality industry) or involved in lifting/carrying or moving equipment.

I understand from staff that clogs with straps work well and retain the foot much better. At the end of the day a RA has to be carried out, what are the alternatives and are staff likely to wear them? this can also be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Peter Harvey
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2001 08:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
The need for suitable footwear has got to arise in the manual handling assessment for this type of work activity. Backless shoes seem about as valid as stilletos in this context. I've investigated a few incidents of falls over the years (mainly on stairs) and footwear has often been a factor - almost invariably among women. Basically if the work requires the shoe to remain in contact with the foot in the correct position whilst force is applied to the floor through the foot in order to enable the load to be moved forward, backless shoes are not suitable or adequate.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 February 2001 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Eckersley
I agree with Ken although I am having problems trying to convince staff in training sessions.
Stability of the feet and ankles are a key factor when handling and moving objects.
If the feet are not stable the protective reflex mechnanism is automatically engaged therefore leg muscles etc are tensed up to counterbalace lifted heels .
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 March 2001 08:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Personally, clog type safety shoes make me cringe, but I haver never heard of an accident caused by their use.

I encounter them quite often in industrial situations - vehicule assembly, engineering, mostly worn by women.

Merv Newman
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 March 2001 11:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Clare
I think I recall being told about an improvement notice being served on an NHS Trust for the wearing of clogs in an operating theatre environment in relation to manual handling risks. This is going back a few years so my memory may be a bit rusty on this one but I have no doubt that clogs must increase the risk of manual handling injury or accidents particularly when dealing with unconscious or semi conscious patients who can react in many unpredicatable ways when coming out of a general anaesthetic.

Hope this helps