Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2001 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Helen Collins I am an OH nurse working in an industrial environment and completing my dissertation on Literacy Awareness. There is a large proportion of the adult population who have have difficulty in reading,writing and doing simple sums-about 4 in 10 adults. There are obvious health issues relating to this but I wondered if anyone had looked at this topic in relation to health and safety issues,training or quality control.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2001 20:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Some time ago on this forum someone mentioned a FLT driver who failed an eyesight test because he couldn't pass the bit where you read a number plate at x metres. Turned out his eyesight was OK, but he did not want to admit he could'nt read. Maybe we should all be aware of such circumstances especially when doing risk assessments
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2001 23:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hi Helen I read your posting with interest, I have come across a number of persons in my training classes that have literacy, and on occasions dyslexic problems although I believe the latter is more difficult for the teacher/trainer to detect. A number of those who are either dyslexic or have literacy problems have a talent for hiding the fact and are very adept at “getting by”. As Jim Walker in his reply mentions about the FLT driver hiding the fact he has a problem. Maybe the reason they hide the fact they have a problem apart from embarrassment is that they fear recrimination and loss of employment, promotion etc! Early identification of these persons is of the utmost importance so that health and safety teaching can be adapted to suit their needs, as well as their job specific training. The employer has a duty under HASWA 74 to provide safe systems of work and under The MHSAW Regulations 1999 has to undertake risk assessments and has to take into account vulnerable groups/individuals. The employer has a further duty under MHSAW Regulations, in that entrusting a task to an employee the employer has to take into account the individuals capabilities. It is therefore essential that those employees who have a literacy/dyslexic problem be identified as early as possible, in order that help can be given. Hope this helps – good luck with dissertation Regards David B
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2001 07:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Harper We used to have numbers of people who had trouble reading and writing in my previous company. We used to do such things as use pictures and diagrams to indicate what was required and symbol matching. This is where the given symbol was on a card and when taking measurements the colours had to be matched up to the symbol on the card of the same colour. It was a bit long winded and no one had faith init though. Training was simply changed so instead of writen exams, oral interviews were conducted with 1 on 1 with the examiner. But careful consideration must be given when the actual task the person is being trained for involves refering to written infomation. Hope this halps Ian Harper
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2001 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Helen, Perhaps the issue of literacy should be picked up as part of the selection process. Whilst it is relatively easy for the proposed employee to get someone to complete a form on their behalf if sent it through the post, perhaps reading and written skills should be considered at the job interview. This doesn't have to be a written "test" but may be something as basic as asking the person to complete a health assessment questionnaire. However, we have to bear in mind that illiteracy should not necessarily be a reason for not giving employment to people. Some jobs do not need a high level of literacy, but, from a safety viewpoint, we need to be sure that we give adequate safety instruction relative to the individuals capabilities and to have safe systems of work that compensate for the deficiency. On a similar topic, we have to address similar needs with an ethnic working population where English may be a second or even third language. Regards, Frank Cooper
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2001 14:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Dyslexia, like many other learning difficulties, may be regarded as a disability, and it is now an offence to discriminate on such grounds. If someone cannot wear PPE because of a disability an employer has to show that reasonable steps have been taken to try to get around this difficulty before refusing employment. I would regard the same as applying to some cases of illiteracy/innumeracy Laurie
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 March 2001 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis Quinn What we have put in place is two fold: 1) A short written multi-choice "course appreciation" at the end of all training courses to verify that the salient points have been learnt- but it also helps to pick up unknown illiteracy. For known illiteracy this is read to the individual, in private. 2) The Area Manager ensures that all written safety instructions/posters are read to those with literacy problems ASAP. Apart from Health and Safety law, the Disability Discrimination Act's requirements to make "reasonable adjustments" is another reason for this.