Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2001 16:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas With the greatest respect to all over 50's. I was told some four years ao by my NEBOSH Tutor that "a greater duty of care was owed" to persons under 18 and persons over 50. The Management Regs have obviously regulated for the under 18's bit but what about the over 50's? I have asked quite a few people about this and nobody seems to have heard about the over 50's bit but agree that it makes sense. Has anybody heard of anything similar and if not what are your thoughts on the matter?. Regards Joe
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2001 17:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Joe. I cannot say I have heard of anything for the over 50's in relation to what you refer, however, given the 'breaks that over 50's seem to enjoy at this time, I can't wait to get there ....only 5 years to go !!! I always point out when running training training courses that special attention to be paid to the risks to 'other persons', i.e. the infirm/disabled and senior citizens. I am not sue though that many 50+ persons I know (most very fit) would welcome this amount of attention !! Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2001 19:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey As a general practise, I would always suggest that older employees should be considered as part of any risk assessment process. Whilst it might be true that many older people are fit and many younger ones are not. It would be reasonably practical to consider age as part of any ability assessment and ensure therefore that managers consider not only the young who may be a greater risk but also older staff. Is 50 really old? I hope not.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 March 2001 19:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I think you are having difficulty in reading your college notes. It was, possibly, 60 but, more likely, 80!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2001 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment His type of comment is also known as 'sarcasm' guys!!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 March 2001 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster As I am approaching 50 I am looking forward to all the special attention. I am expecting: Grand-paternity leave of at least two weeks to get to know each new grandchild; Installation of a stair-lift; Complimentary tin of Worthers Originals; Warm slippers at my desk each morning; The radio re-tuned to radio 4 (of course it was re-set to radio 2 on my 40th birthday). I will, however, fight proposals to ban mini-skirts, low necklines and tight trousers (by either sex) in areas where over 50s work (apparently on the grounds of unnecessary risk to our already elevated blood pressures). The one thing that no longer seems to come with advancing years is in Joe's opening line - respect, so I don't supose I can look forward to getting a seat on the bus, or getting to go first through a doorway without shoving :-) Now if I had had the foresight to have put a bit extra into the pension fund years ago.........! John
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 March 2001 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston At the risk of upsetting a few of my elders (and betters), there are considerations for workers over 50. I wonder if the NEBOSH tutor was referring specifically to muscular strength and manual handling capacity? "Fitting the task to the man" by Etienne Grandjean (4th Edn) deals with muscle power in relation to age (and sex). There's a graph (after Hettinger) that indicates rapidly increasing capacity to a peak between 25 and 35 and (slower) declining capacity from 35 onwards (so I'm in decline too). "...Older workers aged between 50 and 60 can produce about 75 - 85% as much muscular strength" I'll grant that such a reduction in capacity is probably less significant than variations between individuals, but nonetheless it may be something to factor into manual handling assessments. There are other factors (e.g. age relatd hearing loss and declining eyesight) which may also be significant - depending on the job. Let the flames commence...
Admin  
#8 Posted : 27 March 2001 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Never mind all you young tearaways, what about us over 60s! Richard
Admin  
#9 Posted : 29 March 2001 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas In response to Mark Prestons message,the NEBOSH tutor did specifically state that it was initially a manual handling issue and also stated that Medical assessments should be carried out periodically on anybody over 50 involved in manual handling avtivities however,he went on to say that the duty of care should be applied in a broader sense to cover all Health & Safety issues. And in response to John Webster,I would agree with the respect issue. Having been a manager for 10 years I would still prefer experienced workers - the job gets done!! (I also agree with the miniskirts bit as well). Best regards Joe
Admin  
#10 Posted : 29 March 2001 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett The only thing I'd add to the debate is the issue of mental attitude. I know I'm generalising but there is still a perception that older people get complacent after many years in the same line of work and start to cut corners. There's also the possibility that they may find it harder to adapt to new technologies and practices as during their working lives things pretty much stayed the same for many years. Younger people are perhaps more used to a developing workplace as things change much more rapidly these days. I wonder if there'll be a drop in accident rates among the over 50s when we thirty somethings get there? And finally, I think I'm speaking for the ladies when I say that miniskirts can stay as long as men stop combing their last three strands of hair over the bald patch.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 29 March 2001 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes Dear All, Certainly when looking at MH assessments the physical capability of the worker which does decline with age must be taken into account. Obviously the physical condition of workers should be looked at for all age groups but one other obvious area is drivers (FLT etc)where eyesight and other physical capacity should be looked at. There is little research which is promoted by the Employers Forum on Age which says that a diverse age range of workers in a firm can improve H&S performance. Specifically the older workers are more careful and hence "reign in " younger workers but the younger ones are more likely to wear PPE and so pull up the standards. Barry
Admin  
#12 Posted : 29 March 2001 17:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE HIYA JOE I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THESE AGE AREAS ASWELL . I REMEMBER WHEN DOING MY NEBOSH CERT. THAT THE TUTOR MADE CERTAN REFERENCES ABOUT AGE GROUPS. THE YOUNG NEEDED TO BE CONSTANTLY WATCHED,IN CERTAIN CASES THE ELDER ASWELL. THIS WAS PUT DOWN TO ATTTUDE,HAVENT WE ALL HEARD THE OLD SAYNG SO MANY TIMES"YOU CANT TEACH AN OLD DOG ,NEW TRICKS". ON INDUSTRIAL SITES WHICH I NOW MAINLY WORK I COME ACROSS THIS ATTITUDE ALL THE TIME,SOME OF THESE WORKERS ARE PERSONEL FRIENDS AND BRILLANT WORKERS BUT WHEN IT COMES TO CHANGE THIS SCARES MOST. WHY DO THE ELDER TAKE OFFENCE WHEN YOUNGER PEOPLE GIVE ADVICE THAT THE ELDER KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IN CERTAIN AREAS. EVERY DAY WHEN YOU ARE WAITING FOR PERMITS ALL YOU CAN HEAR IS"BY THE TIME THIS IS SORTED OUT WE COULD OF HAD THE JOB DONE,BLOODY H&S WILL PUT US ALL OUT OF WORK, WE WOULD HAVE HAD THE JOB DONE BY KNOW IN OUR DAY" HEARING,SIGHT,PHSYCAL ABILITY,ATTITUDE! YES I THINK THIS IS A GOOD ENQUIRY. HAS ANYONE DONE A INCIDENT/ACCIDENT ROOT CAUSE AGE SURVEY TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY TRENDS IN THIS AREA. WOULD BE INTRESTED AS WE HAVE QUITE A FEW OLD B-GGERS IN ARE COMPANY. STEVE
Admin  
#13 Posted : 29 March 2001 19:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Beaumont Right on the button! I am preparing a report following a fall by a farm worker in February 1993. 57 years old and having to work out doors because the cattle have to be fed. We know that there is a problem with this job but it is impossible in practice to protect the exposed edge of a silage clamp. My feeling is that a 50+ person is less able to cope in extreme conditions. I think that this is borne out by several comments. I can just remember when I passed 50. (!) TV program last night reported increase accident rates for drivers over 50. Not that I believe anything that I see/hear on TV