Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2001 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Caroline James During a DSE assessment I was doing recently it was mentioned that, owing to having larger than average hands, using a mouse for any length of time resulted in pains in the joints of the fingers and hand. I recommended a larger mouse but when our normal purchase catalogues were searched there was no reference to the size of the mouse, only the functions and whether it was designed for left or right hand use. Has anyone else come across this problem and if so can they point me in the direction of a supplier of larger mouses, mice or meeces?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2001 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Contact "Posturite" on 01323 847777 for their catalogue. They have several different mice to suit most needs.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2001 19:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd Whilst a change in the size of the mouse may well reduce the problem, the more common cause of any mouse related hand/arm fatigue/pain is extended use (and probably in an awkward posture). Do also consider the type of work - is it all emails, spreadsheets or graphics where the mouse is the predominant 'animal'? If so, ensuring that mouse work is intrerrupted by other non VDU tasks is likely to be most effective. If mouse work can't be avoided, encourage symptomatic users to swap between right and left hands; get them to learn to use more keyboard commands; by any means possible, reduce exposure to the affected limb! If these methodological approaches are ineffective try a range of (non keyboard)input devices - e.g. the MouseTrapper, Tracker balls, touch pads and yes different sizes and shapes of mice. One thing is certain - the solution to one person's problem is going to be different to another's.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2001 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston You might try the whale mouse which is adjustable for size (the only one I know of), look also at the contour mouse which may help with your problem too. Both available here http://www.datasound.com...hs/armwrist/armwrist.htm
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2001 15:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Caroline I have recommended a trackball with good results, these do vary a little in size. I use one myself at home and in two offices and can recommend them Laurie
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2001 10:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I too employ a 'logitech' trackball mouse, which is large, is takes the whole of my hand rested comfortably upon it (big hands), and I find the use a lot easier than pushing the smaller type mouse around a mat. Advantages are you can rest the hand/wrist continuously during operation, and in fact I find it easier and quicker to use. The only disadvantage is whilst it is 3 button, I do miss my MS wheel !!! Stuart Nagle