Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2001 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Denis Hands My employer is changing over to a salary system in which pay increases will depend upon staff achieving pre-determined performance targets. One of the targets set for those of us of RSP status is to retain that status: a laudable objective. Obviously to do this we must remain Members of IOSH and pay the annual membership fee, which is now a formal obligation placed upon us by our employer. The question is, should not now our employer assume responsibility for refunding our membership fees? I would be interested to hear the views of other members.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2001 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Harper Denis, I am in a similar position, in that the company I work for set a standard for the position for which I applied, including membership of IOSH. But now I am in the position, membership is not funded but the company has set its requirements for a level of competence by determining that IOSH membership is a requirement. I think that you are in a similar postion and the question is of competence. The organisation you work for obviously detemermines your post to be filled by an individual of RSP status. Anything less and the organisation would consider the individual not competent for the position. My company used to consdier IOSH membership as a requirement for the position but dont now. My arguement is that the support and information that i recive from IOSH through THSP, branch meetings etc would be lost and I would immedaitly apply for subscrpition to THSP magazine and funds for seminars of subjects that IOSH gives in branch meetings that I would not attend. A simple cost/benifit arguement. I do not think that there is a legal argument, but I would like to be proved wrong, as competence can be measured in other ways that membership of professional bodies.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2001 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Denis, I have previously worked for a company that insisted on MIOSH RSP as part of the Job Description for its safety professionals. In this case they always paid the fees. However, my present company will not.When I approached the MD on this matter he told me that it was company policy not to pay any membership fees for anyone in the company regardless of what job descriptions called for or what professional organisations people belonged to. At least its the same rules for everyone here and not just the usually hard done by safety professional. I know this is not much help but it gives another company perspective! Regards, Frank Cooper
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2001 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith Denis, I have been in the fortunate position that I have had three employers who have paid IOSH membership without any question whatsoever. In terms of the overall cost of employing you, this probably represents less than 0.1%, however if your employer did pay this, the good will this would generate would be enormous benefit for both of you.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 April 2001 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson In my Institution all of the Professional members of staff are expected to pay their own fees. I believe that is also the case for Academic members of staff who might belong to, for example the Institute of Biology. However, if as a consequence of the position you belong to a university based professional organisation,for example the Association of University Radiation Protection Officers, then the fees are paid. I must say I have never worked for an organisation who have paid my normal professional fees for me, nor would I expect them to.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 April 2001 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Howden I have previously claimed that professional membership is necessary for my employment and claimed it as a professional expense on my tax form. Regards Bob Howden
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 April 2001 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi This is an interesting thread--I am not aware of precedents in case law--as any case would probably be dealt with by civil courts or industrial tribunals. In my view,these matters need to be covered by employment contracts if Professional Membership/RSP are within job descriptions. The employers could be leaving themselves to liability if it is in job descriptions.After all, membership(attending branch meetings etc) and RSP can be construed as continuing training and competence requirements. The crux is that if the emloyer refuses, most of us would continue paying membership fees. Whereas IOSH has to an extent been involved in the "COMPETENCE" campaign, it has not really been in the forefront of it. My understanding on it is that the HSE will not take a lead on it, but the HSE expects professional safety organisations representing Safety Practitioners to do so.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 April 2001 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Watson We ask our safety professional to be IOSH members. We also pay their fees and provide a training budget. This relatively small cost to the organisation is offset by the enthusiasm and added value of a team of competent staff. We are preparing to deliver IOSH courses, along side our CIEH courses, something we could not do without meeting the criteria of IOSH. The additional income stream will more than pay for the commitment made. Regards Mike
Admin  
#9 Posted : 08 April 2001 00:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Perhaps I am just fortunate, but all of my previous employers (Local Government) and the private Sector Company I am now employed by (previously Government Department), have systems that pay for 'Professional' membership subscriptions, provided they are applicable to your field of your employment. In my own case this includes memebership fees to; Institution of Civil Engineers and Engineering Council Fees Faculty of Building Institution of Occupational safety and Health and a few others. In addition to the above I am also able to claim tax relief on membership subscriptions that are applicable to my employment and employment status. It is worth noting that the inland revenue do examine membership of 'Professional' bodies and have in the past taken to task, and to the courts, those bodies who they claim (inland revenue that is) are not actually 'Professional' bodies, removing the ability of members to claim tax relief on membership. In the case of engineering bodies, this seemed to occur to bodies that where not able to offer 'Chartered Engineer' Status to members (although profesional registration was available through these bodies at Techncian and Incorporated Engineer level) !! Whether the inland revenue regard IOSH as a 'Professional' body in light of it not currently being a body approved, as it were, by the Privvy Council (the body/court that awards Chartered Status) I could not say... Perhaps someone out there knows better ? Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 April 2001 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey IOSH is registered with the Inland Revenue, ref T1644/19/1979 6th April1979, as a body for which tax relief can be obtained on subscription fees. This information is printed on the subscription receipts currently being sent out. Membership of IOSH is for individuals not companies so it is the rsponsibility of the individual to pay the subscription fees. However, many organisations do pay an individuals fees, this is purely a matter for the individual and their employer to negotiate. In some instances RSPs have been able to negotiate payment for CPD activities as part of their individual contracts, their rationale being that it is necessary to maintain their competence as continued registration is required in their job descriptions. However, before this particular aspect becomes a cost of CPD argument, I should point out that the IOSH CPD scheme can be maintained without any expense to the individual, as much of the CPD requirement reflects normal workplace activities with developmental aspects.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 09 April 2001 20:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Denis Hands Thank you all very much for your views Regards Denis