Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2001 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Maher There is a significant amount of literature available on the implications, consequences and precautions in relation to patients becoming colonised or infected with MRSA. However, does anybody have info on the specific implications of colonisation on staff. For example, if a colonised staff member is to undergo a surgical procedure and this surgical procedure is delayed because of MRSA colonisation, does the employer have any liability - perhaps if the employer suffers further illness due to a postponed sugical procedure
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2001 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Hi Tom, You have raised an interesting question. When I was working for the NHS we ensured that all staff working with patients were sceened for MRSA, and if positive given remedial treatment and rescreened. If your staff member is in that category, then I would have thought that the employer's risk assessment should cover the need to regularly screen them for the organism. If they are not involved in patient care and have no access directly to the infection, it is more likely that they could have contacted it outside employment. It is known that persons can act as carriers for this illness without showing symptoms. I know myself that it is easy to get an infection on the wards. I was MRSA negative until I needed major surgery last year and acquired it whilst in the Intensive Care Unit.of my local hospital (not work I should add). The District Nurses took weeks to get rid of it after the operation from the wound site whilst back at home. I think that the staff member would have to prove that it was the fault of the hospital that they acquired the infection whilst at work! It will be interesting to see if there are other responses and views on this subject. Good Luck.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 April 2001 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster The whole area of Hospital Acquired Infection is one which I feel is not being treated as seriously as it deserves. If 5000 people per year were needlessly dying in fires, in confined spaces or in accidents with forklift trucks there would be an outcry. Yet so many of these cases could be prevented by more attention to basic hygiene practices. According to the HSE, substances hazardous to health include "....biological agents (bacteria and other micro-organisms) if they are directly connected to the work or if exposure is incidental, such as with farming, sewage treatment or healthcare". So CoSHH Regulations quite clearly apply to the organisms responsible for hospital acquired infections. And as CoSHH extends to exposure of non-employees to hazardous substances, then the regulations should cover patients and visitors as well as the healthcare workers. Or have I misinterpreted CoSHH somewhere along the line? John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2001 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Maher John, I realise the implication of the CoSHH regs. in this situation, however, what I need to assess is how hazardous is MRSA colonisation (as opposed to infection)to "healthy" employees
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2001 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Maher Martin, MRSA has become so prolific in healthcare institutions I wonder is it reasonably practicable to screen, treat, rescreen, (re-treat, rescreen etc.ad nauseum)
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2001 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Hi Tom, Yes you are right about the almost endemic levels of MRSA within healthcare. We used to screen nurses and other workers who worked on the care of the elderly unit. This was the only active medical type wards we had as we were a community and mental health trust. I am sure that acute hospitals have more of a problem, but my wife works in one and they screen the ITU and paediactric staff routinely. Unfortunately, hospitals seem to get re-infected via patients and visitors and it is totally impracticable to sceen them routinely. I do think that patients are screened if they are on a "high risk" unit such as ITU, CCU and Renal Dialysis to make sure that they are not carrying. I do know that when I was working,I had to have a screen because I was going into wards etc. as part of the job. I read a few days ago about a new wound treatment using honey with Teatree extracts which has anti bacterial properties. This might be useful for infected wounds. I also know personally that my wounds were treated with Bactoban which is a seaweed derivertive. It will be interesting to see if the Bacteriologists are able to come up with other non antibiotic treatments which do not become ineffective due to drug resistance. Another good example being the current resistant TB outbreak. I was under the impression that COSHH is not appicable for infections in a clinical situation where a patient is under active medical treatment. I may be wrong but that was the rationale that I used to use. Good luck.