Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2001 19:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By david Westhead Could any body please tell me the normal operating temperature of a hydro pool, the pool is used in the rehabilitation of sports persons and the injuries can vary from broken bones to musle stains etc. The reason I am askisking this question is that I have had conflicting information from the company that fitted the pool and the company that services it. Any info would be greatly accepted. Thanks, Dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2001 20:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm trying to cast my mind back to a time when I dealt with these pools for special needs children's therapy. I don't think there was a 'normal' temperature but that it depended upon the professional judgement of the medical practitioner in control of the treatment. For non-therapy use 30 degC is normal for very young children and disabled with room temperature 1 degC above - but I seem to remember pools at around 34 degC. With body core temperatures around 37 degC the nearer the pool water reaches that point the greater should be the effect upon the thermoregulatory system - but at this point health and safety practitioners have to give way to medical practitioners!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2001 19:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By david Westhead Ken, Thanks for your swift reply. The problem that I have is that of humidity, we have a de-huminifier fitted but it keeps failing. The manufacterure says that it is being asked to do to much because there is no constant air flow but just an extraction fan from the AHU in the ajacent chainging room (open plan with pool). I understand that the air temp should be at least 1degC above the water temp but this is making the chainging area very uncomfertable. That is why I asked what the optimum temp should be , I have now been informed by the physio that the water must be at least 35/36 degC for the type of injuries that are being treated. This would take the air temp to possibly a very sticky 37+. It appears that the designer will have to have a look and put in some other kind of AHU. Thanks again Ken, I hope you could follow my long winded explanation. Dave
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2001 22:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I do know what you mean. In the few minutes it used to take me inspecting these pools it felt like being in a Turkish bath!