Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2001 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty Here is an interesting point for debate. The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 section 6.3 as amended by the Consumer Protection Act 1987 Scedule 3 states : "It shall be the duty of any person who erects or installs any article for use at work in any premises where that article is to be used by persons at work to ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, that nothing about the way in which the article is erected or installed makes it unsafe or a risk to health at all times when it is being set, used, cleaned or maintained by a person at work." How does this then tally with the DSE regs? Does this then put the onus for the initial DSE assessment on the person installing the equipment? If they know the person is going to be a user and that the place they are installing it is unsuitable as a workstation then either should they not install it, or provide advice and guidance on what is required for a suitable workstation?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2001 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Caroline James You could read this more laterally to mean that the person who decides DSE equipment is required and therefore requests it to be installed is the installer, not the person who is dealing with the physical task of installing the equipment. i.e. a manager decrees that a persons work includes the use of a DSE and subsequentely makes arrangements for it to be installed. Once the equipment is in place the manager is responsible for ensuring a DSE assessment is carried out, not the person who actually put it in place.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2001 17:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd This may be an interesting point for debate, but I for one do not think that it would occupy much court time if the issue were to be raised. I stand to be corrected, but it seems to me that the most appropriate Regulations are the DSE Regs and it is these that therefore carry sway. The installer would not necessarily have the proposed user available and an assessment could not then be properly carried out. It is, though, true that users often (and reasonably) assume - on arriving at a desk - that the DSE has been properly positioned and they therefore don't attempt to change things. IT departments should therefore be encouraged to train their installation staff in the (DSE) issues such that they place the kit on the appropriate part of the desk and do at least provide adequate cable lengths etc.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2001 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi My interpretation of Section 6 duties referred to is that they are general duties, underpinned by the specifics of product safety "supply" legislation. PC's are in a sense not fixed installations, unlike most machinery, process plant and equipment. So, the supplier, or in some cases installers of DSE is provide a safe product and all the relevant information for its "installation" and use. In the context of installation, it may apply to the wiring/cables, but because they are not "fixed" and hence not "installed", all these are "Employers" duties. Lastly, the specifics of DSE Regs put the onus of the layout,location and adjustments of the various items comprising the "workstation" on the employer, not the party that initially installed i.e."delivered" the unit.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2001 07:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Ian, There is nothing incompatible with the two requirements. Section 6 is preventing health and safety risks being introduced when the article is erected or installed, whilst the DSE Regs ensure that the item is used without risk to health and with the welfare of the user in mind. The key points about this part of s6 are the article must be erected or installed. Supplying an article is not installing it! However, if the article is installed, the installer cannot install a totally unsuitable article. For example the item may need to be intrinsically safe for a chemical plant. Furthermore the installer cannot install the article in such a way that renders the use, maintenance etc of the article unsafe. E.g. it should be wired in correctly, and if a fixed item sited so that there is adequate ventilation and space for safe use and maintenance. However, because the installer has no control over the use of the article, but the employer has, separate duties are placed upon the employer through the DSE Regs. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2001 07:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Further to an earlier comment by Jay, SOED defines install as "To Place (an apparatus, system, etc.) in position for service or use." As the act does not define install and make reference to articles, not fixed articles, I suggest that taking a pc out of a box, connecting the leads and plugging it in is installing it. If this is so, the person installing it would have the general duty in s6 imposed upon him! Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2001 07:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty The situation that I am referring to is our own IT dept. "installing" the equipment into other departments within our own organisation. "If they know the person is going to be a user and that the place they are installing it is unsuitable as a workstation then either should they not install it, or provide advice and guidance on what is required for a suitable workstation?" What I'm trying to avoid is the usual answer from IT of "we only put it where we're told, it's nothing to do with us" by using the legal argument that it is their responsibility.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 April 2001 07:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack If its your own IT Department then Section 6 does not apply (unless they are externalised or contractorised as the HSE seem to call it now). Your employer has a duty to comply with the DSE Regs. Its a matter for the employer to decide who does what. The important thing is, are the Regs being complied with.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 April 2001 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Does not PUWER have some bearing here? Richard