Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2001 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marj Rees
A local playground wishes to install an embankment slide. They are hoping to grass the mound but recognise the problems associated with its' maintenance. Has any one any advice or ideas regarding types of acceptable grass cutting equipment for use on embankments or preferably alternatives to grass?.
I would be grateful for any information that I can pass on.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2001 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Marj
Can't help with alternatives to grass but in the past I've had to investigate a toe amputation incident on a grass verge. The injury was caused when a worker was stood half way up a slope with a 'hover' type mower. He slipped, didn't let go of the mower and as he fell to the bottom the mower followed and struck his foot, trashing his boot and foot.
I'm not saying that this method is particularly correct or watertight but they ended up mowing from the top of the bank pulling the mower up and down with a line of some sort. Don't know how they sorted the dead-mans handle device but it worked very well.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2001 21:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Grassed mounds are always a problem and the usual 'remedy' seems to have become lowering a hover mower on a line. For reasons that Bryn has described, it may be necessary for the operative to be secured by a fall-restraint or arrest line or to be behind a substantial fence. In playgrounds, one may see the areas adjacent to these slides utilised as climbing areas with timbers, terraces and the like in order to help overcome the maintenance problem. Where dense low-growing shrubs (Cotoneaster horizontalis, Lonicera pileata, etc) can safely be used they could also provide a safer alternative requiring minimal maintenance.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2001 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marj Rees
Many thanks Bryn and Ken, the information was useful and has been dutifully passed on.

Regards

Marj
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2001 11:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Harper
Marj,

We conduct similar cutting on near vertical banks with a rope system in costal areas and there are a number of issues.

Firstly tying up the dead mans handle is not a good idea. If its dropped you cant stop it. Especially bad if its petrol.

It also causes problems when lifting up. If it is not done exactly right and you are working over a fence.... the guy has to lean over to cut it off... mower nearly vertical...am I painting a picture? Or the guys on the rope pull it up to quick and it comes over the fence.

Its also a hard job, you then introduce a big manual handling problem lifting up and down.

Also I think if you look in the manufactuers blurb, it normally states hover mowers must operate within 15 degrees of horizontal (I think).

I dont want to sound negative, but thats the scene I was faced with and I don't have any answers either.

Contact me if you want to know the in depth problems we have had.

ian.harper.ncs@norfolk.gov.uk