Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2001 18:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karl Curtis I work for a large financial institution and the company have decided that it will now convey H&S information through its chosen reprsentatives. The "reps" will meet at the company's head office periodically and will then return to their offices and pass back the info. Whilst I applaud the company's efforts in getting staff involved in H&S I am concerned that they refer to THEIR chosen people as "safety reps". My understanding is that the term "safety Rep" has a legal definition as per legislation. Am I being a bit OTT in suggesting that they give the people another title which doesnt involve the term " safety rep" or "rep of employee safety" in it? I'd be delighted to hear what other people think Regards Andrew
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2001 23:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey Surely the problem is what type of message you want to convey to other employees? Why I have no better suggestions, Safety Representatives are common in work places throughout the country and many trade unions have safety reps that are justifiably proud to hold that title. If you are trying to convey the message that these people are the 'voice of the employees' in consultation with management, then I would stay with safety rep. The Collins Dictionary definition of Representative is .....a person authorised to act or speak on behalf of others. The choice is yours
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2001 21:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor This is not an isolated practice and, whilst the title may be misunderstood, I believe it is quite legal as they are not called trade union safety reps. In my organisation we have appointed 'Health & Safety Co-ordinators' for each establishment to do the sort of thing that you describe. This is a very useful method of working within a multi-site organisation - but needs supplementing with health and safety committees, etc. If your employer has chosen not to recognise trades unions or if the trades unions have not appointed safety reps, there remains a duty to either consult all staff on health and safety matters or their elected representatives.