Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2001 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JANET STEWART I WOULD LIKE SOME INFO ON WHAT SHOULD BE DONE IN THE EVENT OF A BOMD SCARE, WE HAD ONE RECENTLY AT WORK, NO ONE TOOK OUR NAMES OR OUR CLOCK NUMBERS WHEN I QUESTIONED THIS I WAS TOLD THEY HAD FOLLOWED PROCEDURE(I DONT THINK SO) ANY INFO APPRECIATED THANKS JANET
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2001 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods The Association of British insurers made a video for retail premises called Bomb Alert. Contact me by email or 01535 664462 for details. Bob Woods Advice Worker Keighley Worksafe Project
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2001 15:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Grant Murray There is a book published by the home office called "Protecting People and Property" a hand book for managers and security officers. It was published in 1994 and we got it from our local Police bomb squad. If you have any difficulty locating it give me a call 01382 563268. Grant Murray, H & S Advisor, NoSWA
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 June 2001 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter S There has been a further up-date to Protecting People and Property Now on Fourth Edition dated 1999 You can get it off the web site www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2001 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter S Janet, last message should have read www.homeoffice.gov.uk (use search. 'Bombs') don't ask where legislation come from ?? bad day !! Regards Peter
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 June 2001 04:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Janet. You have been given details of a useful publication which hopefully helps. However from your posting, do I detect that your organisation does not have a procedure for such matters and that you as a person in the organisation are not aware/have not been informed about it? Your comment that when you queried the action taken, you were informed that the organisation had followed procedures suggests these may exist but may not be communicated or clearly enough known about by presonnel. Do you/does your organisation have procedures for Fire, First aid, Accident reporting etc,? More importantly, do you and your colleagues know about these procedures and do you follow them? As regards the Bomb Scare, perhaps your organisation, no matter how large or small needs to look at "An Emergency Procedure" which embraces the many aspects and forms that events can take these days. In this day and age it is possible to have Bomb Scares as you put it in the form of suspicious packages, telephone threats or by the physical invasion of your organisations premises. Groups of protesters or action groups, dependent upon your business and what activities it gets involved in can be targeted. In the current arena with GM and Food issues or with Cosmetics and Pharmaceuticals testing, Animal Rights activists or Green Groups might target you. For instance, Construction Companies have found there Head offices invaded by mob protesters because 200 miles away they are involved with a contract for building a new motorway through the countryside and a section of society wishes to protest against this. You can now perhaps think of many other instances where such groups could intimidate and cause havoc, distress and personal unease at the workplace. So companies need to consider all these posibilities and develop policies and procedures to address them. Sit down and brainstorm - A WHAT IF approach. Above all the organisation needs to clearly communicate the arrangements to all its people and ensure there ongoing training. Also as the Home Ofice guide says the procedures should be regularly tested and drills and evacuation exercises held. There outcomes should be reviewed and discussed and shortcomings and uplifts incorporated into revised Pocedures. Then of course re-communicate and re-train. Other events could be a vehicel accident outside your organisations premises on the public highway,or within your premises, the vehicle is carrying dangerous chemicals and is leaking. The fumes are a danger to people and you have to be evacuated away from the area. Your organisations premises might be in an area liable to flooding. What are the emergency procedures should this occurr, in work hours, out of work hours and how would this type of occurrence affect you and colleagues, Do You Know? A suspicious package is received in the mail, how do you or how does the organisation deal with it. I hope these rambling thoughts give you some food for thought and perhaps encourage you to address the issues with the senior people, (Directors, Managers, colleagues, whoever and at whatever level you have access to) or Employee Safety Committes if you have such forums so that the business/organisation can consider the whole and wider issue of "EMERGENCY" Regards. Ken Urquhart
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 June 2001 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Al Penman When I served in the Forces who you will agree has quite a lot of practice concerning bomb scares we had certain proceedures in place. The person recieving the bomb threat ie a receptionist should try to keep calm and gleen as much information from the caller as is possible, such as location of package/bomb, time of detonation and who planted it/claiming responsibility. Once the call has been recieved then a quick systematic search of the area should be made using personnel. Once the search has located a suspicious package/device then the 4 C's should be used. Confirm the location and that it is a suspicious package/device, Clear the area, Cordon off the area and Control access to that area with one entry and exit point. Once out no-one goes back in. Detail someone to liase with the emergency services/Bomb dispossal team to show them the control point. Keep access clear for emergency vehicle and keep personnel away from the access point unless detailed to show emergency services to control point. For evacuation a full rollcall should be made and personnel evacuated at least 200 meters line of sight for a small device and 400 meters line of sight for a larger device. Hopefully this is been of some help, the exact proceedure is a wee bit hazey in my mind but these are the main things that I can remember.