Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2001 17:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin
I complained about an IOSH member who I believe behaved improperly and IOSH wouldn't help, saying they didn't get involved in employment disputes.

If IOSH isn't going to adhere to their own professional standards there seems little point in having them.
Where does the employee who has a complaint against an IOSH member go then, if not to IOSH?

If anyone is prepared to tell me how to contact the Ombudsman who oversees IOSH, I can be contacted at admin@workplacebullying.com .

Thank you.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2001 18:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith
Tony Martin,

Thank you for your message, which has been seen by the Chat Forum Moderators and can we assure you that this will be immediately acted upon on Monday.

Arran Linton - Smith
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2001 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin
Thank you, but I should warn you that it was Robert Strange who gave the response.

I don't want anyone to get into trouble because of me. If anyone feels unable to help directly you can always email me at admin@workplacebullying.com

Regards,

Tony Martin
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2001 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lucas
Tony,

I regularly use the forum. Some months ago I complained to IOSH because I felt some of the comments concerning enforcement officers were unnecessary and derogatory. IOSH failed to act and I was very disappointed. I have only just started visiting the site again.

I can only sympathise with your predicament.

Kind regards

Andy

Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 June 2001 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram
I am responding because:
a) There is obviously some serious concern;
b) I know that some key people are away this week, so maybe a quick response on Monday won't be as easy as Arran's reply suggests.

In case you aren't aware, I'm the Immediate Past-President, and both the President and Chief Executive are in US for most of the week, at the ASSE Annual Conference.

First - does IOSH take its Code of Conduct seriously? I think the fact that both a Chat Forum Moderator and myself have responded independently over a weekend indicates that we do. However that Code relates primarily to individual conduct as OSH advisors, also as members of a professional body.

It is not intended to directly relate to all our conduct as citizens, employers, employees, family members, etc. unless that conduct potentially brings the Institution into disrepute (item 8). The "Additional Guidance" in the Code provides examples of what that means for specific groups such as employers, trainers, etc.

Second - what is the process? When complaints are made about individual members, the process is that they are reviewed by the Chief Executive (Rob Strange, whom I have always found to be someone with very high personal standards, and therefore unlikely to make biassed judgements, particularly in issues affecting individuals). If he judges that there is substance in the complaint, it is then passed to a small committee which investigates further, seeks a response from the individual, etc. before coming to a decision. The detailed process is included in the IOSH Articles of Association, and summarised in the "Code of Conduct" booklet.

Third - What to do if you are unhappy about decisions made? Can I respectfully suggest that a message on this public Forum over a weekend, whilst it raises the profile of your complaint, is unlikely to persuade neutral parties that you have a good case? It is important that judgements linke to our Code of Conduct are made on factual data, though clearly the parties involved are likely also to have strong emotions. I am sorry that you feel you have been wrongly treated, both initially by an IOSH member, and then by Rob Strange in relation to your complaint. However public discussions will not lead to any resolution of either issue. Please put any continued concerns in writing, addressed to Rob as Chief Executive - and I will do my part to ensure that they are reviewed appropriately.

Fourth - what about comments on this Chat Forum? A different Code applies, as not all participants are IOSH members. The Chat Forum is Moderated, by Arran Linton-Smith and others, and as far as possible errors, offensive remarks, etc. are removed, with appropriate messages sent to those involved. However, it isn't easy to decide at the margins, and those of us in senior positions accept that publicly-expressed opinions about us are all part of the role. We ARE much more concerned about negative comments made about our staff, who need to be defended from abuse and verbal bullying as do all other employees.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 June 2001 14:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin
Dear Mr Waldrum,

As an expert on the subject of workplace bullying, (9 years as a victim and 7 years researching the subject) I know only to well how secrecy feeds the abuse. Every organization and individual who has a responsibility to defend the employee's welfare has always shirked their responsibilities. That is why I run the website www.workplacebullying.com and that is why I will continue to post whatever I feel appropriate on this, and any other forum.

I have written to Mr Strange and would thank you not to presume anything unless you have more than a reasonable belief to enable you to do so.

Evidence? Yes I have plenty of evidence but Mr Strange's 3 lined reply didn't ask for that, merely saying the committee didn't get involved in employment disputes.
Who said it was an employment dispute? I certainly didn't. I have made a legitimate complaint as IOSH's code of practice states I am entitled to do.

IOSH is a charitable organization is it not? Are they covered by the charities commission?

I am not satisfied with Mr Strange's response and would like to take it further Mr Waldrum, on that basis I would be grateful if you would supply me with the appropriate information.

Regards,

Tony Martin
www.workplacebullying.com
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2001 14:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin
"We ARE much more concerned about negative comments made about our staff, who need to be defended from abuse and verbal bullying as do all other employees".

Mr Waldrum,

Why have you raised the issue of verbal bullying?

Regards,

Tony Martin
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2001 21:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram
I raised the issue of verbal bullying because of Tony Lucas' point about comments on this discussion forum, some of which have in the past been directed at individual IOSH staff.

If you wish to 'take things further', the IOSH Code of Practice explains how to do that, this discussion forum is not part of the process.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 June 2001 22:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin
This forum was never meant to be "part of the process" and you will see that if you read what has been written.

Please don't tell me what I can say on this forum, I am an adult and do not need the etiquette of conversation explained to me.

Until you contributed to this topic I have always found other's to be polite, courteous and helpful. I hope this will continue.

Regards,

Tony Martin