Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 June 2001 15:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin
What assistance have any IOSH members given to bullied employees?
Did you suffer problems yourself because you supported the employee against your employer?

Where do IOSH members think their loyalties belong? Is it with their employer, always, or is it with the employee?

What are your opinions on how workplace bullying is investigated, and do you think the grievance procedure is suitable where bullying is concerned?

I welcome any feedback from fellow posters and you can contact me directly at admin@workplacebullying.com

Regards,

Tony Martin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2001 21:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Briggs
Many IOSH members are very concerned about this issue, the amount of branches who have invited knowledgeable guest speakers in, are testimony to this.

The questions you are asking may be the cause of problems when investigating cases of bullying, especially if safety professionals adopted this stance, this will prevent effective cures for workplace bullying and will not cure or help victims of workplace bullying.

From my own research undertook in 2000, many people did not realise until after they had left a certain work environment, that they had been subject to bullying (unacceptable workplace behaviour, especially if this is the culture the organisation operates within). Therefore it may be a hidden problem. How do you investigate hidden problems effectively?

When dealing with a victim of bullying it is not advisable to be seen to be taking sides. Impartiality and confidentiality is more important than "Taking sides". "Taking sides" may be the cause of unprofessional behaviour. Also "taking sides" can lead to emotional involvement, if you become emotionally involved it may harm your chances of helping the victim - you can also leave yourself open to allegations of favouritism and improper investigation. This can destroy any credibility you have with both sides when attempting to deal with alleged cases of bullying - remember everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

Grievance procedures can help but it all depends on how strong the victim is, and what support the victim has, especially from friends and family, and how soon the bullied person uses it.

The best strategy is to have an anti-bullying policy, which ALL employees know about and adhere to. A zero tolerance should be adopted by ALL grades of employee (and employers)to ALL unacceptable forms of workplace behaviour that may give rise to bullying.

It is very difficult to investigate workplace bullying, this is dependant upon the amount of psychiatric/psychological damage the victim has suffered, the type of bullying a victim has been subjected to, and who is the culprit (it may be more than one).

Bullied people soon learn not to trust people, they can refuse to trust close friends and even very close family. This can make getting at the truth difficult.

The cure for workplace bullying is education and training. My research (and that of others) has shown that many managers are very technically able, but lack good people management training to manage people properly. Would you let a person drive a forklift without training? but organisations let people manage people without giving them the necessary people skills training.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2001 23:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin
Thank you Tim,

This kind of feedback is really invaluable to me and others who are trying to educate people who are involved in the workplace. Unions, management, employees, OH and EH.

At the risk of being censored again, I will say that my experience has been that OH staff have been "less than supportive".

Of course this doesn't mean all OH staff are the same, any more than one sunny day doesn't make a summer.

I want to see all those involved in the workplace doing their jobs in an open and fair way, where employees are not made so ill by the workplace bully, usually a manager, that they can in some instances take their own life.

I feel that OH staff should not be employed by the company because there is a risk of a conflict of interest. Better that they are employed by independent sources who are not attached in anyway to the company.

You say that bullied people become untrusting Tim? Yes that is so. This is because they have been lied to so many times by people who should have protected them, that they have had all trust knocked out of them.
A victim of bullying will be suffering from PTSD, they will be having disturbed sleep, eating incorrectly, and on various drugs for depression and stress etc, etc.. I feel a supportive OH service can help greatly in easing the abused employees distress, but also an "unsupportive" OH service can cause equal distress.

Thank you Tim for your comments, and anyone who wishes to learn more about workplace bullying is welcome to join our forum at bullied@yahoogroups.com where you will not be censored for any comments you wish to make.

Regards,

Tony Martin
www.workplacebullying.com
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2001 23:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin
"The best strategy is to have an anti-bullying policy, which ALL employees know about and adhere to. A zero tolerance should be adopted by ALL grades of employee (and employers)to ALL unacceptable forms of workplace behaviour that may give rise to bullying".

The company I work for has such a policy Tim and they are officially the worst bullies in the country. (see workplacebullying.com for more info..) Paper promises are like paper money, worthless, unless there's a reality to back them/it up.

Regards,

Tony Martin
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 June 2001 00:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Briggs
Tony

I find your atttitude offensive and belittling. You are behaving like the archetypal bully you are professing to demeanour.

You do the anti bullying cause a great deal of harm.

Tim
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 June 2001 03:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin
Hello Tim,

I wont go over the points I referred to in my reply to your email, because it would be pointless.
What I would like to say is I am disappointed by your comments and rather hurt. Please look at our website www.workplacebullying.com and you may reconsider your view.

Regards,

Tony Martin
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 June 2001 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Melia

Workplace bullying is much more than abusive or threatening behaviour by one person to another. Were it that simple, it would not receive the growing and much-needed level of attention that it does today.

Bullying is not on the increase, but awareness of it is. It is not something that bully-tolerant employers boast about, but something they try hard to conceal. As awareness (or "admission") of the widespread presence of bullying grows, so it becomes harder for such employers to conceal.

Concealment is done behind laudable masks such as ISO14001, good accident statistics and good PR in the form of noble statements, including anti bullying statements, in company literature and importantly, staff briefings and policy.

I would like to credit honourable organisations that achieve excellence through genuine effort and ethical behaviour. They set the example of how an organisation should appear, but in so doing, they give bullying employers a model to emulate. Bullying employers will go to great lengths to achieve and maintain that appearance, so as to blend in with honourable organisations. I draw a parallel with differences between genuine and fake Rolex watches.

It is entirely possible for an organisation to attain ISO14001 and yet have a bullying culture. It is possible for an organisation to adopt the ACAS guidelines on bullying and harassment, and yet tolerate bullying. When a bully is sufficiently highly placed in an organisation, (s)he can successfully bully staff into believing that (s)he is doing everything in their power to stamp out bullying.

In such an organisation one may find that an employee claims that they are bullied, only to have their claim dismissed without investigation, on the grounds that the anti-bullying policy has already dealt with the problem. Such denial is a sure sign of workplace bullying. If an employee simply *daren't* report it, then the chances are that they have been bullied into feeling that way. Compare how abused children are threatened into keeping everything secret. In this kind of case, it is very difficult to expose the problem, and nearly impossible through, for example, IIP audit interviews.

Every employer has to be seen to adhere strictly to H&S law. If an employee's health is at risk due to and obvious physical hazard, all the corrective or punitive actions are tangible and measurable.

Stress induced injuries are not yet covered by the "3 day rule", and so those off sick with stress are not officially recognised as having work related injuries, and the accident statistics are not affected. Thus it is very easy for an unscrupulous employer to appear to have a safe workplace.

Whereas it is easy for a lay person to relate a physical injury to a physical event, expert help is often needed to conclusively identify the cause of a stress- induced injury, often weeks and sometimes years after the injury is sustained.

It takes great courage - many would say that of a kamikaze pilot - to blow the whistle on bullying. If an employee responsible for OH discovers bullying, and yet works under the same bully, it is exceptionally difficult to report the cause of the illness routinely or honestly.

While workplace bullying remains, through some interpretations, legally acceptable in cases where it cannot be interpreted as racially or sexually motivated, it is probably the most significant cause of workplace related illness. The fact that it is still largely denied, unrecognised and undetected demonstrates just how effectively bullying employers conceal their activities - and yes, behind the masks of prestigious awards and noble policy statements - and even behind - and from - OH workers.