Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2001 15:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By M Dolman Our company restaurant manager has notified me that her staff are using their disposable face masks 2-3 times before throwing them away. They use the masks when cleaning the oven which takes approx 10 minutes. The oven cleaner contains sodium hydroxide. Am I right in stopping this practice or is re-use of disposable masks acceptable? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2001 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant The short answer is DO NOT REUSE. Disposable masks are by their very nature to be used only once. Oven cleaners contain substances such as Sodium Hydroxide which has an exposure limit under the COSHH Regulations. Have you checked the amount of fumes being generated within the breathing zone and is it under the maximum limit. You should carry out a full risk assessment and you may find that other types of mask are required. The current masks will have a protection factor which can be obtained from the manufacturer. By taking the amount of chemical and the time of use you can identify if the masks are adequate for the purpose. If masks are reused, there is no way that the amount of protection factor remaining can be detirmined and staff may be breathing toxic fumes straight through the mask. Hope this helps. Martin.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2001 10:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster In general terms, I agree with Martin, although in this particular case I would tend to be more concerned about hygiene. I would also congratulate your kitchen staff on actually using some PPE for this job - so often ignored. I trust they have long PVC gloves and eye protection as well? The problem with oven cleaners is that they produce an aerosol mist of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) which is corrosive to skin and mucous membranes, eyes etc. The mask is therefore required to intercept a mist rather than a vapour. The mist will react with carbon dioxide in the moist exhaled breath and in the atmosphere to produce sodium carbonate (bicarbonate of soda) so the reused mask will now have a coating of the latter. In practical terms, given the application and the period of use, I would not expect there to be a breakthrough of harmful material after 2 to 3 uses. HOWEVER, re-use of disposables is poor practice as it leads to the belief that any disposable item can be used over and over again. Yet there is no provision in disposable design for cleaning/sanitisation. Even if the same person is re-using the mask (I HOPE it is the same person) bacteria and mould spores can build up and then multiply in storage. Placing the slightly damp mask in a plastic bag (to avoid soiling in storage) in a warm locker room will ensure the bugs have optimum breeding conditions!! So up the budget for masks. They don't cost that much! John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2001 21:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Are these disposable masks really suitable for dealing with fume ? I've a nasty feeling you are refering to dust masks.I suggest a good place to start would be to read the manufacturers literature. Without a doubt this will advise single use only.