Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2001 08:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Lynn Can anyone provide guidance on the use and implementation of a permit to work system ? We currently have a system which is initiated by maintenance personnel for their own activities and that of contractors. Shift maintenance personnel are refered to as engineers to justify this. My concerns are that this procedure over rules the authority of the shift manager who is the most senior person on shift but is not considered competent enough by others to issue permits. Also the permit to work is not used when carrying out most maintenance tasks when guards are removed as guards are fitted with interlocks and if necessary maintenance personnel can fit their own personnel locks. Is this considered safe? My own view on interlocks is for access to allow minor tasks such as cleaning blockages etc, and the permit to work used when safeguads are dropped, such as the removal of a guard. I would appriciate any information on this matter, Cheers.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2001 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby John Not sure what the purpose of your PTW system is. I have always worked on the principle that it is a communication tool between all those that are involved in the work to be carried out. I would suggest that in your case the manager of the people operating the machines originates the permit in conjunction with the maintenance people to ensure that all are aware of the requirements needed to ensure everyone's safety and that those requirements have been put in place. Failure to communicate the requirements could and almost certainly will lead to an accident. The PTW should also set down a time limit for the job and include a section that formally hands back the machine to the operators. Failure to formally hand back could result in the operators starting equipment that may not be safe. Hope this helps Cheers John C
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 June 2001 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Proper implementation and monitoring of PTW systems is vital. One of the main causes of The PIPER ALPHA disaster 1988--167 workers died – was a failure of the PTW system !!!! Although it is in a sense a piece of paper, the implications for having detailed procedures for its practical use are the key to proper use and effectiveness. The formal inquiry to Piper Alpha found a number of technical and organisational failures. Maintenance error that eventually led to the leak was the result of inexperience, poor maintenance procedures and poor learning by the organisation. There was a breakdown in communications and the permit-to-work system at shift changeover and safety procedures were not practised sufficiently.