Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2001 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Knight Conflicting messages recieved on site, so now wish to definitively address the question of use of safety harnesses when MEWPs are 2m above floor height. Bungee effect of lanyard will begin to break fall perhaps, but behavioural issues arise due to over confidence. Any thoughts?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 June 2001 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernie Rogers Your risk assessment will identify the need to employ properly trained and supervised people. I suggest that having trained users in the use of such equipment that regular tool box talks remind them of the dangers of the hazards involved at working at height. It is important to rememeber that the assessment must identify the right person(s) for the job.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2001 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Knight Thanks for reminder of the basics. My enquiry is on applicable guidance from trade/authorities/suppliers. Whilst non-prescriptive legislation offers the opportunity to assess risks, there is a growing, if only local, discrepancy on this topic. Any positive guidance welcomed.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2001 20:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE HI ADRIAN WITHOUT A DOUBT IF PERSONS ARE NOT TRAINED IN THE PROPRE USE OF SAFETY HARNESS THEN A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY WILL HAPPEN. I HAVE JUST DONE A SURVEY ON 20 DIFFERENT WORKERS ON SITE WHO JUST HAPPEN TO WEAR A HARNESS ,THEY WERE ALL FROM DIFFERENT COMPANYS. EVERYONE OF THEM KNEW HOW TO PUT A HARNESS ON BUT IT ENDED THERE. THEY DIDNT KNOW HOW LONG THEIR LANYARD WAS, HOW MUCH ABSORBER WAS RELEASED,HOW MUCH STRETCH THEIR WAS ON THEIR HARNESS,HOW TO USE THE CALCULATION OF HARNESS USE,HOW FAR THE D-RING WAS FROM THER FEET YET THIS IS THE ANCHORAGE POINT. THIS REALLY SCARED ME AS WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS TRUE. IT IS ALL TO EASY TO THINK THAT WITH A HARNESS ON YOU ARE SAFE. WHY DO MOST PEOPLE THINK THAT WHEN WORKING AT 2M OR ABOVE YOU NEED A HARNESS ON WHEN THIS SHOULD BE THE LAST CHOICE OF PROTECTION AGAINST FALLS FROM HEIGHTS. WHY DONT WE THINK IN THE TERMS OF FALL PROTECTION INSTEAD OF FALL ARREST, THEN WE WOULD THINK DOWN THE LINES OF GUARD RAILS,SAFETY NETS,COVERING OF GAPS WITH STURDY BOARDS. I HAVE JUST BROUGHT MY FINDINGS UP AT OUR SAFETY COMMITEE AND THIS HAS BEEN ACTED UPON STRAIGHT AWAY.. ANYONE NOW WANTING TO USE SAFETY HARNESSES HAS TO HAVE BEEN ON A SAFETY HARNESS COURSE AND SIGN A LOGGING BOOK TO SHOW THEY HAVE DONE THE NECESSARY CHECKS. PERSON WORKING AT 2M HEIGHT=6FT 6" LANYARD[SMALLEST] 1M= 3FT 3" SHOCK ABSORBER 1/2M= 1FT 8" D-RING-toFEET 11/2m= 4ft 11" Harness Stretch min.6" 6" = 10ft 4" AS YOU CAN SEE IF THE PERSON DOESNT KNOW THE WORKINGS OF THE HARNESS AND THE LANYARD IS CLIPPED ANYWHERE OTHER THAN DIRECTLY ABOVE HIMSELF THEN HE IS IN DEEP ----. I AM NOT THAT GOOD ON CONVERSIONS BUT IT IS TO GIVE AN IDEA OF WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. ALSO I HAVE GONE FOR THE MINIMUM LANYARD LENGTH WHAT IF HE DIDNT REALISE AND PICKED UP A 2M LANYARD. BELIEVE ME IT CAN HAPPEN AS I FOUND OUT ON MY SURVEY.[HE WAS A SCAFFOLDER AS WELL] THINK FALL PROTECTION NOT FALL ARREST AND I AM SURE THE WORKERS WILL SEE WHAT WE MEAN. HOPE THIS IS OF USE STEVE
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2001 08:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Lusby Adrian Guidance is available from the HSE: http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/e00162.htm, this may not resolve the situation "Definitively". It may be prudent to be wary of the moving paradigm. Following the guidance and applying a risk based approach on the use of safety harnesses sounds ideal. However attempting to reconcile this where a fall occurs in an area deemed low risk that could have been prevented by the use of a harness is another matter. Regards Nigel
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 June 2001 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Knight Thanks Nigel, The web page crashed so have yet to read the guidance, as you've picked up, the in-field aspects of percieved risk and applied controls are the root causes of poor safety behaviour to protect against falls.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2001 21:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Smith http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/1-6.htm Web site address above is for a Health & Safety Executive / Local Authorities Enforcement Liaison Committee (HELA) document which gives advice to local authority enforcement officers. It contains the same text as a circular issued to HSE inspectors on this subject. A full index of HELA circular subjects which are "open" to the public is at: http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/index.htm Andrew Smith
Admin  
#8 Posted : 26 June 2001 08:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The CITB position is to strongly recommend the use of safety harnesses attached to a secure anchorage point within the the platform to prevent personnel from being catapulted out of the platform in the event of vehicle strikes, hitting obstacles, wheels going into potholes, and the whiplash effect of undulating ground. This should be in addition to the edge protection to the working platform and not an alternative. The earlier comments on the need for workers to know the working and performance of fall-arrest equipment when working at height generally are very valid and I believe that this should be considered after safer alternatives (including fall-restraint systems).