Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2001 07:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By pschu Hi, I come across a problem in my construction site. I cannot decide whether to stop work or not during thunderstorm warning. I have given instruction for the workers to work under shelter in case of thunderstorm warning. However, for the crane operators and riggers, they shall expose outdoor whilst conducting lifting operation. I believe that stop work can really prevent them from electrocution, but I cannot do it so frequent or else I will be dismissed soon. Is there any standard regarding thunderstorm safety? Is there any emergency procedure concerning thunderstorm apart from working under shelter? Thanks for your kind attention. Regards, PS Chu
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2001 10:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Try the US National Lightning Safety Institute... http://www.lightningsafety.com/contents.html
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2001 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods If you feel that workers are in serious or imminent danger then you have [at least in Europe]as the appointed person the right to stop work. A tropical thunderstorm i would suggest presents imminent danger to workers especialy anyone in contact with metal containers or working at heights. i feel great sympathy for your situation as many H&S officers are fired for doing there job.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 July 2001 02:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart P S. You do not say where you are located, but it sounds as though you are in the Tropics/Sub Tropics. I am involved in projects in Hong Kong and during Thunderstorm Warnings in working hours we stop certain works and restrict others. Work on Steel structures is especially a problem and in the future the work on the roof of the Cybercentre Building will pose a large work area vulnerable to Lightning. We are currently discussing a Procedure with the Contractor for this operation. All the Project Tower Cranes have lightning conductors. In local immediate neighbourhood Thunderstorms we suspend lifting operations. We use the Hong Kong Observatory warning services for direct advance warning of severe weather condtions. We also monitor their Web Site constantly. www.weather.gov.hk/contente_new.htm For advice on Thunderstorms go to their www.weather.gov.hk/wservice/warning/thunder.htm Look also at the Hong Kong Labour Department's web site. www.info.gov.hk/labour/new/index.htm Here you will find a downloadable Code of Practice: Code of Practice in Times of Typhoons and Rainstorms.(revised April 2001) Whilst this document does not specifically address Thunderstorms and Lightning it gives general guidance and good practice advice for employers to set up and develop clear and sensible procedures for the safety and welfare of people at work and travelling to and from work in Severe and dangerous weather. (And judging by Junes record, rain and thunderstorms, wettest June in HK since records began 150 years ago, Rainfall in excess of 1200mm, and the recent Typhoon "UTOR", it is going to be a busy year for storms and dangerous weather I think) This CoP is also being heavily promoted on RTHK's Radio 3 programme channel, it is one of the Governments current High profile Public Information Sound Bites. I was involved with the construction of the Passenger Terminal Building at Chek Lap Kok and there we had a simple Radar detection warning device that indicated the path of the Thunderstorm and identified the Lightning areas. It also gave direction of travel and speed so that we could work on the Terminal Building Roof up to a known time and then safely and in adequate time evacuate the workers and temporarly stop work on the roof. I am trying to locate such a device for my current project. If you or others reading this know of such devices please e-mail me. kenurquhart@pccw.com Check out the conditions of your contract as there may well be clauses there about Weather, temporary suspension of work etc. This might help you with your problems of dealing with your managments attitude to safety and there understanding of their Safety obligations. It is worth reminding your Company if they are in China or Hong kong SAR, Taiwan, Phillipines, Thailand, Singapore or Malayasia etc., that these countries DO have Health and safety Laws and Ordinances and that Companies DO have to comply with them. The Laws are enforced by the appropriate Government Departments, here in HK, The Labour Department, and if you are based here you will know that their inspectors visit and inspect sites. Recent incident history during Severe weather: From The South China Morning Post, 06th., June 2001. On the 05th., June in HK a worker repairing a communication cable in a sewage tunnel was killed when Lightning struck it. During the same storm 3 ground crew were injured suffering electric shock, one was seriously injured. They were servicing aircraft on the apron at Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong's International Airport. So, yes,regardless of what your Company thinks, you are required to ensure Safe Systems of Work and have a Safety Management system. Exposure to an Environment where Thunderstorms are prevelent and Lightning Strike is forseeable and has a high risk potential, then you must have clear rules about working in such conditions to mitigate the very real dangers, (Evidenced by the Press reference). My advice is that you do have to have a policy and procedure for Thunderstorms and the possibility of lightning Strikes, and it must be implemented, managed and complied with. You also have to have a similar procedure at least in Hong Kong for Typhoons and Black and Red Rainstorms. You should also check out the Safety Suprvision Plan if your Poject is in Hong Kong as this should address severe weather/typhoon precautions and the AP might give you some support with the implementation and enforcement of Lightning Strike prevention policies. After all the AP and The RSE undr HK legislation are Statutory appointments and carry legal duties and accountability. Hope this helps. Please feel free to e-mail me if you wish to discuss further. Regards. Ken