Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2001 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Johnson I'm a reporter for BBC Radio 4, a workplace issues programme called Nice Work. I'm trying to find out if OH practitioners have experienced any cutbacks in provision by companies - particularly, say, in fields like physiotherapy. A couple of recent examples have been mentioned to me of companies which have reduced, due to cost saving measures, the physiotherapy services they offer to their staff. Are these isolated examples, or might there be others? Thanks Mike Johnson
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2001 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods I work for the Keighley Worksafe Project. We give free Occupational Health and Safety advice to the general public, voluntary sector groups etc. Your question has left me astounded. If radio four are going to a programme on the lack of provision of physiotherapists as a health and safety issue then it's time they opened their eyes to the real world. People arc welding stood in six inches of water, tyre re-moulders who are covered head to foot in carbon black eight hours a day, workers who have to undergo surgery for WRULD's because thier employers can't or won't provide the correct tools. Yours lividly Robert Woods If i have misunderstood the question then I apologise. If I havn't then the BBC should wake up and smell the coffee.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2001 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Hi Mike, I suspect that many companies have to justify the expense of maintaining an occupational health service. Until retired, I worked for the NHS in health and safety and although most NHS Trusts had access to an occupational health nurse, it was vary rare for any other services to be directly available. I would suspect that only large companies with substantial workforces would be able to provide a physiotherapy service. The NHS often will assist other companies by providing an occupational health consultancy, which may have access to other related services. This can be an income generator for the NHS which like many companies is "strapped for cash". You might care to look at other "health related" services like Chiropody or Dental Health which may be offered as a service to employees. Hope this helps and good luck. Martin.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2001 19:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Harper I feel that I must respond in the same vein as Robert. My experince is that such things as physio are on the increase, with companies, more often insurers, providing injury management. I think cutbacks may possibly be the wrong term to use, as many look at the possible costs in claims v the cost of rehabilitation through private health. This is usually the overriding factor rather than physio for all. I must say as a licence payer, this is a pretty poor topic as most people are moving in the right direction. I'll listen anyway, whens it to be broadcast?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2001 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Johnson Thanks for the response Ian. Last thing I want to do is waste valuable licence-payers' money! The whole point of the post was to establish whether there was anything worth looking at here. If not, we won't waste listener's time! For the record, the show starts on the 14th August at 4.02pm and runs for six successive weeks.