Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 July 2001 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell
I recently posted a question relating to cultural and safety related problems of employing people from abroad, specifically Portuguese.

Before I look elsewhere for help on this matter, I would just like to confirm that;

a) There are no Safety Practitioners in this forum that have faced this (or similar) problems, or that

b) It has been faced , but there are no safety/cultural implications when employing people who do not speak fluent English. If this is the case, I can assure my company that it does not need to act further!

So far, I have translations of;

 A basic safety quiz.
 Information and declaration on WRULD’s
 Employee signed certification confirming that they have received the necessary training.

I would like to point out that I am not seeking copies of Risk Assessments SSOW etc, I would just like views from colleagues, if they have any.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2001 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Juliet Fennell
Firstly, as an employer you have a duty to ensure the safety of your employees, this does not mean they must speak fluent English, but that you must ensure they are aware of the safety procedures, fire procedures or general safety & health issues - who to report defects to etc. You must ensure that they understand any training provided and are able to carry out their own safety duties.
Secondly this has been a major issue with shipping companies as the international language of the sea is English, althoughmany sea farers do not have fluent English. It can pose serious problems if all Officers are english speakers and all crew are not. If you wish to follow this up further I suggest you contact IASST (Int. Assoc. of Sea Survival Training) they provide training to seafarers and should have access to reports on the subject. I do not have an address - but any of the Nautical Colleges such as RGIT (Aberdeen) should.
I hope this helps, Juliet
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2001 14:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Lusby
Aidan,

The tendency to revert to your native language in situations of extreme danger has been a factor in some serious accidents. So much so that the ACOPS (offshore) of the Diving at Work Regulations 1997 States:

" The diving project plan should state the language that is to be used during the diving project. All team members should be able to communicate clearly with each other..."

I realise this is probably irrelevant in your circumstances, however it may be food for thought...

Regards Nigel
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 July 2001 01:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart
Andrew.

I am based in Hong kong and am involved in the Construction and Property Development Industry.
My position is the reverse, I am the Manager overseeing the Safety, Health and Environmental issues of a Multi Billion dollar Project.

I speak fluent English, my mother Tounge, (incidently if anyone wants an interesting and humorous read about the evolution of Language and of the English Language being the universal internationl language, "Mother Tongue" is the title of a good book by Bill Bryson.)

My Cantonese is limited and some of the dialogue is communicated in what we refer to as "Chinglish".
The Language of the Contract and its administration is English.

Having been previously under British governance, English is a common language and many practices, systems and customs still, despite Hong Kong SAR now being part of the Motherland, (China) reflect British ways and English communication. It has to be said however that the level of English in some parts of local society is poor and native construction Workers have limited English together with in some cases poor or low literacy levels.

Hong Kong is also a multi-cultural society however and we have Personnel from many Asian countries and for that matter European countries, so there are other language considerations apart from the Cantonese/English interface.
Within the Chinese language there are also Puthonga and Mandarin languages.

However by adopting dual language signage, Induction, Tool Box Talks and Team Briefings, coupled with advisory posters and information sheets in dual language we communicate.

On a personal basis it is amazing how and what you can communicate if you try by expression, smiling as you say and do things, gesticulation,example, mime,(and sometimes Pantomime), and using sketches and diagrams.
You have to think a little more about tasks and workplaces and consider that the way you understand and do things may not be quite as the locals understand or do them.
Consult with native colleagues, discuss areas of Culture that you do not understand, jointly develop an approach to the issue. Utilise their skills and knowledge in preparing and revising Policy, Procdures and rules,preparing details of/for Systems of work etc.
Once you have demonstrated to People at work, and by this I mean all levels and status,that you are knowledgeable and are prepared to take the time to communicate and develop relationships you get respect and support.

I suggest that the concepts that I have outlined will help you and your organisation and it's Management to address the integration of the International Personnel into your organisation.

One has to ask why they are there?
Is it through EC membership and freedom of movement and working entitlement by EU Member state worpeople, because you have an operation in Portugal and the personnel are seconded to the Corporate HQ for training, development and work experience before returning to there home country base, or is it related purely to Corporate Economics?

Whatever, as other respondents have identified ther can be problems and time and effort has to be put in by the Company to ensuring that you treat these workers in terms of Employment conditions and Health & Safety as you would/do any native personnel.
Look at some of the Trades Union web sites for information and guidance they have some good stuff, and if you are a unionised organisation you may well find dialogue with the Union and its officers brings help and guidance even, possibly in the Portuguese language.

Make contact also with The Portuguese Embassy or legation in the UK and seek guidance and help from them, they may well have dual language information documents for their nationals domociled in a country such as the UK and who are in employment in the UK.

Interestingly if you look at the Press Releases section of the HSE site you will see HSE has just published some new guidance on Health & Safety in 6 Languages, unfortuneately, Portuguese is not one of them but the point is it demonstrates that within the UK legislative system and as Britain is a multi-cultural society all classses and creeds have to be catered for. If you think about it we also have in the UK dual language within our own system anyway, Welsh and Gaelic.
Another employment and cultural interface area is that of Health care and much has been done in terms of Language here because of the Patient/Medic interface etc. You may well find help from Safety practitioners in the Health sector.

(And a thought for Businesse's that work Internationally.)
Working as I have in recent years overseas, It never ceases to annoy me that International Companies with the best and highest Health, Safety and Environmental standards and ethics in their home territory will descend to the lowest required level in an International location because that is what the local communities or countries Laws and syatems require, rather than continue with the standards that every body certainly amongst their Ex-pat personnel are used to and comfortable with, and make your contribution in that country/society by helping develop and uplift the standards in your new domain. I am not saying impose your rules and systems barring all others but promote the values and encourage education and integration where they fit.

I hope that some of these thoughts and concepts are helpful to you.

Regards.

Ken Urquhart