Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.



Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : 08 August 2001 11:36:00(UTC)
Rank: Guest

Posted By Phil Roberts
I have recently started employment with a regional newspaper company and am in the process of risk assessments in all areas of the buisness and found one area where "IT" staff are working alone at night doing service and maintenance on computer systems.I assesssed this required a lone working policy and was duly asked to write a policy.My dilema now is who is classed as a lone worker. We have sales reps, reporters, photographers, couriers and maitenance staff who all travel about a large area of the country.Any ideas of what should be in a policy for these types of jobs. I have read the HSE guidance on lone working but it does not seem to cover travelling workers in any detail ,regards Phil Roberts
#2 Posted : 08 August 2001 11:46:00(UTC)
Rank: Guest

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan

Some time ago Geoff Burt produced a lone worker risk assessment form that starts with a number of questions designed to establish whether the individual is to be classified as a lone worker.

The remainder of the questionnaire works as a checklist of what needs to happen to protect the lone worker. You can download it from web-safety.com's safety exchange at the following URL;




#3 Posted : 08 August 2001 12:13:00(UTC)
Rank: Guest

Posted By Jim Sweetman

Your dilemma is very familiar to me. As with any definition, who is it intended to cover and who is to be left out?

I have found that a large number of people these days have an element of lone working in carrying out their role. An interesting one, for another discussion, is lone working and working from home.

A viewpoint that I have always taken is that anyone frequently working without direct supervision would need to be considered as a lone worker.

For those who come outside the category of 'frequently', suitable risk assessment would identify elements of lone working and allow the employer to decide on appropriate preventative and protective measures.

In summary, I would advise a two tier approach;
- identify those who are obviously a lone worker, and
- those who, as part of their duties, may face risks due to lone working.

I hope that this proves of use.


Jim Sweetman
Users browsing this topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.