Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2001 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky Can anyone settle an arguement? Asbestos was required in floor tiles to meet a BS, has anyone any idea when that was and when the Standard was withdrawn? regards Nicky
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 September 2001 17:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Nicky, Try the British Standards website. It has a good search engine on current and withdrawn standards. Sorry I don't know the address. Type "British Standards" into a search engine. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2001 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi There is a reference to tiles & use of Asbestos in "Asbestos. Volume 1. Final report of the Advisory Committee"--this publication was withdrawn in November 1995 i.e. thermoplastic tiles (BS 2592:1973) and PVC (vinyl) asbestos flooring in tile form (BS 3260:1969). Both tiles are made from a blended composition of a thermoplastic binder, asbestos fibre, fillers and pigments. BS 3261:1973 permits the use of asbestos in flexible PVC flooring: most of the less flexible materials (mainly tiles) to BS 3261:1973 Part I contain asbestos, while the flexible tile and sheeting materials rarely do so. You will have to check the current status of these standards or they may have been amended, but after substituting Asbestos with other materials. It is not a simple matter of searching the BSI website as this is a standard for Tiles & Flooring and not for asbestos products